Local Nonprofit Group’s Efforts Raise Awareness

By Seferina Limones

Domestic violence may not always be the easiest topic of conversation, but with October being National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, it’s time that people begin the dialogue and become aware of what can happen behind closed doors.
Domestic violence is one of the most under reported and common crimes today. According to www.domesticviolencestatistics.org, every nine seconds a woman will be beaten or assaulted, meaning approximately 1.3 million women will be victims of domestic violence this year alone.
There are groups such as the Family Place that are dedicated to educating everyone on the devastating impact of domestic violence.
The Family Place is a year-round advocacy group dedicated to helping families and victims combat abuse and violence with two offices in the Dallas Metroplex, one of which is located at 4300 MacArthur Avenue.
The Family Place has done more than just spread awareness. It educates the youth of the Metroplex about the warning signs of an abusive person as well as teaches preventative tactics, according to its website.
Violence in the home does not only affect the person who is experiencing it, but those who witness the crime. According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, up to 10 million children this year will witness some form of domestic violence. According to the domestic violence statistics webpage, men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their partner than sons of nonviolent parents.
According to its website, The Family Place offers several varieties of awareness groups. Each group appeals to specific age ranges and the situations people of that group could experience or prevent from happening. The goal is to educate youth before violence happens by starting school programs in third grade. Material covered varies from sexual harassment to cyberbullying, showing the difference between playful banter and signs of future danger.
The website also states that the school groups are offered up to grade 12. After high school graduation, former students are offered a place in Be Group Leadership Groups. These select students help spread awareness and encourage other students to join the groups to gain knowledge. Over the years, the Family Place’s awareness campaigns have ranged from skit teams to last year’s free concert. People of all ages, in relationships and not, can attend and learn how to stop the violence.
For more information on these programs, domestic violence facts and how to spread awareness, readers can visit www.familyplace.org or like it on Facebook.