New Brookhaven College president chosen

Photos by Brandon Donner and Jacob Vaughn; illustration by Matthew Brown | The four candidates, clockwise from top left: Linda Braddy of Tarrant County College, selected to be the next president of Brookhaven College; Charles Morris of El Centro College; Rolando Garcia of Broward College in Florida; and Shawnda L. Navarro Floyd of North Lake College.

By Jacob Vaughn

Editor-in-Chief/Music Editor

After a week of forums introducing candidates for Brookhaven College president, one has been selected for recommendation. Joe May, Dallas County Community College District chancellor, recommended Linda Braddy to the DCCCD board of trustees for the position during the Oct. 1 regular board meeting. Braddy has since been approved.

Braddy’s first day as a Bear will be Nov. 4. She comes to Brookhaven from Tarrant County College – Northeast Campus, where she served as the vice president of academic affairs for nearly four years.

A nationwide search came down to four candidates for Brookhaven president. In a Sept. 26 districtwide email, May said Braddy is committed to student and community success, leadership, academics and diversity. “Her passion for the community college mission of equity and service drives her to succeed,” May said. “Linda has helped her institution in its efforts to serve students through removing barriers to student success.”

With work for a national educational non-profit and over a decade of college-level teaching under her belt, Braddy said she brings a unique blend of experience to the role of college president. She also has a Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Oklahoma.

“I have extensive experience with fundraising, with finance management, with building community partnerships and working in a one-college environment,” Braddy said. “I characterize my leadership style as one of inclusion and collaboration, and building relationships both internally and externally.”

Ahead of the forums, which took place Sept. 9-13, Interim President Justin H. Lonon said the role of college president is evolving and will continue to do so.

Lonon said, “You want someone who is really committed to the mission of Brookhaven College, who understands that we’re a learning and teaching institution, who can balance the demands and needs of the community and business and industry to make sure that we’re fulfilling needs that they have.”

Each candidate was introduced at their forum by Christa Slejko, North Lake College president. Each had their own unique background and credentials. May said, “Based on interviews and input from the search committee, we clearly had four excellent candidates; however, only one finalist’s name can be forwarded for approval to the DCCCD board of trustees.”

Rolando Garcia came to Brookhaven from Broward College in Florida, where he is president of the school’s south campus. Charles Morris is a familiar face in DCCCD. He is the executive vice president of academic affairs and student success at El Centro College. Shawnda L. Navarro Floyd also works in the district. She is the executive vice president of academic affairs and student success at North Lake College.

May said he appreciates the invaluable input from the Brookhaven search committee and everyone who attended the college presidential candidate forums. May also thanked Lonon for filling in as interim president. “Dr. Lonon’s leadership helped BHC continue to serve our students and community without interruption, promoting excellence and student success,” May said.

Lonon will return to his district office and continue serving as executive vice chancellor upon Braddy’s arrival at Brookhaven.

“I’m excited about the future of Brookhaven College under Dr. Braddy’s leadership as we move forward together to serve our students and the community,” May said.