Brookhaven leadership clubs help launch careers

In this new series, The Courier will give overviews of student clubs on campus. For more information on a club, contact the club’s adviser or sponsor. Because advisers are Brookhaven College faculty or staff, their contact information can be found in the Brookhaven online employee directory.

Clubs+Guide

Illustration by Eriana Ruiz Leadership-focused clubs, such as Student Government Association, can teach students soft skills and allow them to meet professionals in their fields.

Phi Theta Kappa

Meetings 2-3 p.m. every other Wednesday in Room S220
Sponsor Rebekah Benavides

Phi Theta Kappa is the official honor society of the American Association of Community Colleges. Members have access to over $90 million in scholarships, in addition to transfer scholarships offered by four-year schools. 

It also offers many travel opportunities. This year, some members of Alpha Delta Pi, Brookhaven’s Phi Theta Kappa chapter, will attend a conference in Chicago where they will have opportunities to network and learn more about the society’s new Honors In Action theme. 

A GPA of 3.5 or above and 12 completed hours at DCCCD are required to join. There is a one-time membership fee of $95, but a scholarship is available to waive the fee. 

— Priscilla Vazquez

Sister II Sister

Meetings 2-3 p.m. every other Monday in Room S003
Sponsor Clara Saenz

The Sister II Sister club aims to empower, enhance and enrich women throughout their educational journeys. The club creates an atmosphere of bonding through workshops and fellowships. The sisterhood is led by an executive board: Nancy Muniz, president; Jennifer Gutierrez, secretary; Stefany Ramos, treasurer; Andrea Cura, head senator; and Clara Saenz, adviser.

“Sister II Sister club is focused on building a sisterhood bond during the fall semester by hosting women in the workforce speakers, holiday parties, fundraisers and events and meetings,” Saenz said. “For the spring semester, we are focusing on building confidence and self-esteem among women.”

Priscilla Vazquez

Campus Activities Board

Meetings 3-4:30 p.m. every other Monday in Room S003
Sponsor Carmen McIver

The Campus Activities Board upholds the experience of students by bringing a variety of events and programs to campus. The club is led by students and encourages the involvement of everyone to create an exciting campus atmosphere. The group organizes events such as Halloween and Welcome Back parties, karaoke and intramural sports.

Carmen McIver, the club’s adviser, said, “I have about 21 students in the Campus Activities Board, so it’s a pretty popular group.”

— Josh Drake

Student Government Association

Meetings 3-4 p.m. every other Wednesday in Room S220
Sponsor Brian Borski

The Student Government Association provides a channel for communication between the student body, administration and faculty. Brookhaven College SGA serves as the primary voice for the needs of all students. 

By becoming a member, students will have the opportunity to grow personally, gain a network of support, work with legislators gaining leadership and lobbying experience, learn conflict management techniques and become better public speakers, among many other things.

The membership terms begin on the first day of the fall semester and run to the day before the start of the next fall term. Anyone who submits proof of current enrollment at Brookhaven in the form of a tuition receipt can join at any time.

— Josh Drake

SACNAS

Meetings 1-2 p.m. every other Wednesday in Room X2008
Sponsors Iris Duarte-Bazaldua,Neda Tousi

The Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) is a national organization dedicated to fostering the success of students in science, technology, engineering and math through service, collaboration and education. 

Brookhaven’s SACNAS chapter provides career and academic counseling to its members to enhance their academic, research, professional and leadership skills. 

Opportunities the organization provides its members include going to national conferences where they are able to network with professionals and other students from across the nation while participating in a variety of workshops. Medical and other professionals often attend meetings to speak to members and pass on insight into various STEM related fields.

— Priscilla Vazquez