Tips for travelers

Mykel Hilliard, Managing Editor

During spring break, college students flock to cities and beaches around the world to unwind and relieve stress. Some are putting together their wardrobe, making reservations or searching Google for the perfect selfie spot. However, it is important to remember that safety is the biggest priority of all. Here are four tips on how to stay safe during spring break.

handshaking
Illustrations by Sam Mott

USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM

It sounds reminiscent of summer camp and school field trips, but having an appointed buddy before participating in spring break activities is useful. You and your buddy can keep tabs on each other at clubs. This also ensures you make it from place to place safely. If you are with a group of people, you can all keep tabs on each other to stay safe.

Beer/water
Illustrations by Sam Mott

DRINK RESPONSIBLY

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, during spring break, 42% of students get drunk at least one day. Many will drink to the point of passing out at least once during their vacation.

Always watch as your drink is prepared, and when possible, buy bottled drinks to avoid being drugged. If you lose sight of your drink or believe it may have been tampered with, throw it out. Know your limits: Stop drinking before it gets out of hand.

According to the Texas Department of Transportation, 444 crashes involving young drivers took place during spring break in 2018. Do not get in a car if you or someone you know is too intoxicated to drive.

dress code
Illustrations by Sam Mott

BLEND IN

If traveling away from home, be sure to blend in with locals to avoid looking like a tourist. Tourists are vulnerable to attacks and theft because they are easier to spot. Before arriving at your destination, research local dress codes and customs to blend in.

swimming
Illustrations by Sam Mott

PRACTICE WATER SAFETY

Some spring breakers will head somewhere warm where they can enjoy beach or pool time. The ocean can have a strong undertow, or a riptide could pull you out to sea and make it impossible to swim back. Never swim alone or under the influence of alcohol.