DCCCD unveils One College new names

Mykel Hilliard, Managing Editor

The Dallas County Community College District has announced the names and structures of the “One College” model. District chancellor Joe May made the announcement in a districtwide email May 28.

“Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the DCCCD started the process of consolidating our seven colleges into One College under a single accreditation,” May wrote. “I am pleased to share that after collaborating with many of our district faculty and staff, and by actively soliciting your input, we have finalized the names for our new instructional schools.”
May wrote that to give students clearer career paths, the district’s academic programs will be organized into separate programs. The final names, he said, will be the School of Creative Arts, Entertainment and Design; the School of Manufacturing and Industrial Technologies; the School of Education; the school of Law and Public Service; the School of Business, Hospitality and Global Trade; the School of Health Sciences; and the School of Engineering, Technology, Mathematics, and Sciences.
May wrote that the new Schools approach is based on the district’s existing Guided Pathways to Success initiatives, which help show students the careers each DCCCD academic program could allow them to pursue. These initiatives include an informational website, roundtables with professionals and job site tours.
He said now that the names and structures of the schools have been finalized, the district will begin aligning faculty members under them. May wrote that over the last few weeks the district has conducted interviews to select vice provosts to lead the schools. “This process includes the appointment of Vice Provosts and supporting roles for each school,” May wrote. “As a reminder, the Vice Provosts will serve as academic leaders and will oversee instruction, faculty, and pathways across programs in their respective Schools which will span each of our campuses.”
May ended the email by thanking faculty and staff for their input. “Because of you, we are laying the foundation for the next 50 years,” May wrote.