Binge Watch This – August 2020

Mykel Hilliard, Editor-in-Chief

“Schitt’s Creek”
Years released: 2015-2020
Streaming Service: Netflix

When the super-wealthy Rose family are defrauded by their business manager and lose their million dollar fortune, they are forced to move from their lavish home to Schitt’s Creek, a small country town that family patriarch (Eugene Levy) once purchased as a joke. When the family arrives in Schitt’s Creek, they settle on living in a run-down old motel where they share two rooms. Throughout the show’s run you see the once upper-class family adjust to small town living. The sitcom is brilliant and each actor in the Rose family has unbelievable comedic chemistry with each other. The show also features postive queer representation by way of the family’s eldest son, David (Dan Levy), who identifies as pansexual. Seasons 1-5 are currently streaming on Netflix now.

“Dead to Me”
Year released: 2019
Streaming Service: Netflix

Netflix’s hit show “Dead to Me” follows the blossoming friendship between Jen (Christina Applegate) and Judy (Linda Cardellini). Jen, a recently widowed mother of two, is trying to come to terms with the loss of her husband, who was killed in a hit-and-run accident. Jen meets Judy at a therapy group for bereft spouses. The duo becomes bonded due to the group therapy sessions and Judy moves in with Jen. As the season progresses, Jen continues to become unhinged as she looks for answers regarding her husband’s accident while Judy frantically tries to hide the truth behind their bond. Applegate and Cardellini shine in this show and play off each other well. Additionally, the supporting characters are phenomenal and help the story move along. Last month the show was renewed for its third and final season. As of now, seasons one and two are streaming on Netflix.

“PEN15”
Year released: 2019
Streaming Service: Hulu

Hulu’s Y2K inspired cringe comedy series “PEN15” is the perfect series for anyone who are looking to relive the early 2000s. The series follows Maya (Maya Erskine) and Anna (Anna Konkle) as they navigate their way through the up and downs of middle school. The series tackles topics such as body image, divorce and racism and more but still manages to keep the show light and funny. Erskine and Konkle do such a convincing job playing their 13-year-old characters that you forget that they are over twice their age in real life. Aside from starring in the show, Erskine and Konkle serve as executive producers of the series alongside Andy Sandberg’s “Lonely Island Classics” production company. The series was renewed for a second season, which is set to premiere on the streaming service on Sept. 18.

“GLOW”
Year released: 2019
Streaming Service: Netflix

Netflix’s Emmy nominated series “GLOW” is a fictionalized drama-comedy series that showcases the lives of the 1980s female wrestling television show “Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.” Alison Brie plays Ruth Wilder, a struggling Hollywood actress who auditions for “GLOW” as a last-ditch effort to save her acting career. Ruth is cast in the show but the drama unfolds when her ex-best friend Debbie (Betty Gilpin) is sought after and cast in the show. The two must learn to put their differences aside to get the show’s pilot picked up. Brie shines as the anxious but lovable Ruth, while Gilpin brings authenticity and strength to Debbie. Aside from the great performances from the show’s leads, the supporting cast of diverse female wrestlers elevates the show. Production of the fourth and final season of “GLOW” was slated to begin in March but was delayed due to the COVID-19 outbreak. While season 4 may be delayed, you can currently stream seasons 1-3 on Netflix.

“Never Have I Ever”
Year released: 2020
Streaming Service: Netflix

The coming-of-age drama-comedy series “Never Have I Ever” was one of Netflix’s runaway hits this Spring raking in over 40 million views since its April premiere. The series, which is helmed by Mindy Kaling, is a semi-autobiographical retelling of her teenage years growing up in Boston. The show follows Devi (Maitreyi Ramakrishnan), a high school sophomore who is looking to pick up the pieces of her life, after the death of her father and a rough freshman year. Ramakrishnan is hilarious as Devi and the show’s South Asian representation is amazing. Last month, the series was renewed for a second season by Netflix.