Student clubs continue online for Fall

Xochitl Gonzalez

Student clubs continue online graphic.

Desiree Gutierrez, Contributing Writer

Dallas College students can expect student clubs and organizations to increase activity virtually for the fall semester.
“Right now, all of the Dallas College campuses have been working together to create virtual programs for this fall,” Brian Borski, Dallas College student life administrator, said.
Borski said about 15 student organizations began meeting virtually in the Spring and the transition went well. Those organizations include the Student Government Association and Career Development Center.
“Everybody adjusted rather quickly,” Carmen McIver, student programs development coordinator for Brookhaven Campus, said. McIver stated that about half of the student clubs maintained activity during the Spring term amid COVID-19 campus closures.
Preparations for student organizations and clubs for the Fall term are currently underway.
Dallas College’s student Welcome Day Engagement Fair for the Fall term was held virtually on Sept. 8 and 9.

Dallas College provided access to the virtual fair for each campus. The fair gave students information on clubs and organizations and also details on how to join.
McIver said the student Welcome Day Engagement Fair for Brookhaven was held Sept. 1 virtually. This fair was campus specific to Brookhaven. The fair provided information about internship and volunteer opportunities at Brookhaven.

Ten student clubs will be centralized across all campuses for the Fall term. Students can join these clubs and interact with not only their campus, but also other Dallas College campuses.

The 10 clubs are:

• Sister to Sister
  • Male Imperative Program
  • Student Veterans Association
  • International Club
  • Brookhaven Green Team Coalition
  • African American Student Association
  • League of United Latin American Citizens
  • Gaming Club
  • Anime Club
  • LGBTQ+ Club

Five of the clubs began to centralize in the Spring term. McIver said hundreds of students joined the clubs.
“It is a beautiful thing to watch. We are not together, but virtually we can all connect with each other through these groups that we have in common,” said McIver.
Individual clubs and organizations are also planning on utilizing virtual events to stimulate student involvement.
“A lot of students want to feel the presence of a community again,” said Gabriel Medina, Student Government Association president for the Brookhaven campus. “That community is crucial to institutions in general.”
The Student Government Association is preparing to host a series of virtual events for the Fall term. In addition, they are revitalizing their social media accounts, including their Instagram page, @Brookhaven_SGA. Information and questions regarding the Student Government Association can be sent via email to [email protected].
Students can now access certain club information directly in eCampus. The career development student community, the health and wellness student community and student life and engagement have been integrated into the “Organization” tab in Ecampus for all Dallas College students.
Students can request additional club and organization information by filling out the student organization interest form. All club and organization recruiting will be virtual for the Fall term.
Students can petition to start a new club. Petitions will be accepted until Oct. 1. Students, staff and faculty can request additional information by emailing Carmen McIver at [email protected].