Dallas College updates mask policy

Mykel Hilliard, Editor-in-Chief

As students, staff and faculty make their way back to Dallas College campuses for in-person activities, the college is taking precautionary measures to ensure their safety.

After previously announcing plans to lift mask requirements, Dallas College Chancellor Joe May announced the college’s plans to reinstate mask requirements effective Aug. 18. 

May made the announcement Aug. 16 via email to staff and faculty. “Effective immediately, employees, students and visitors must wear masks at all Dallas College locations and events,” May said. 

His decision comes on the heels of Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins’ amended order reinstating a countywide mask mandate. 

“While I support this decision as it aims to protect us all against COVID-19, I fully understand the chaos and confusion this political back and forth creates within our Dallas College community,” May said. 

May encouraged students, staff and faculty to follow proven preventive measures such as wearing masks, getting vaccinated, social distancing and handwashing. “These actions have been proven safe and effective without regard to what our state and local officials decide,” he said. 

May ended the email by encouraging staff and faculty to model behavior which ensures the safety of students. “We will keep you updated as this situation evolves,” he said.

At the Dallas College Conference Day Leadership panel on Aug. 20, May confirmed those who can show proof of vaccination will receive a financial benefit: $500 for full-time employees and $200 for students.

Anyone looking to purchase masks on campus can visit the Brookhaven bookstore in Room S238 or pick up a mask for free at the Health Center in Room S072.