Fitness center adds new hours, staff

Rosa Poetschke

Brookhaven Campus Fitness Lab located in T123 is currently open to for students, staff and faculty with the exception of previously scheduled class times.

Alex Maya, Distribution Manager

The Brookhaven Campus Fitness Lab located on the first floor of the T Building has extended its hours of operation. 

New hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The gym is open to all students, staff and faculty except for specified class times for students.

According to Jorge Rodriguez, fitness center manager, they are working to extend hours from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the near future. Extending the hours is difficult without additional staff, according to Rodriguez. 

“A lot of students and faculty have come during open gym hours but there’s no one in the office to let them in when it’s closed,” Rodriguez said. “We might hire some work-study students to help with that.”

Previously, the gym was used only by student athletes or for instructional classes. Although the gym is now open to all students, staff and faculty, many do not know about it. 

“I would say it’s good for the students that don’t already have or can’t afford a membership elsewhere,” Andrew Diaz, a Brookhaven student, said. “The equipment looks relatively new and clean so I would definitely go,” he said.

The Fitness Lab is located in Room T123.