Inclement weather policies explained

Riley Cook, Contributing Writer

In February 2021, Texas was hit with a major snowstorm. In the event the state sees inclement weather, Dallas College has protocols in place to decide whether to cancel classes and close campuses. 

Sharon Davis, chief business continuity officer for Dallas College, is responsible for ensuring Dallas College is prepared for, responds to and recovers from a business interruption, including making sure there are appropriate communication protocols in place for inclement weather. 

“Since the transition from DCCCD to one Dallas College, these processes are consistently handled across the college for all campuses,” Linda Braddy, Brookhaven Campus president, said.

On a morning with snow or ice, the protocol requires the on-duty police officers to report the weather conditions to the chief of police by 4 a.m., Davis said. The chief of police then relays the information to Dallas College leaders who will conduct a conference call at 4:30 a.m. Those on the call will include marketing personnel, police, provost, vice provost, vice chancellors and others. 

Closures or delayed openings will only happen for the impacted campuses, Davis said. In previous years, it was an all-or-nothing approach. The decision was made based on impending weather conditions as well as input from police, the status of facilities and what the independent school district partners are planning to do.

In the event multiple locations are affected, it is likely a decision will be made for all Dallas College campuses, Davis said. When possible, decisions are made the night before. 

Dallas College monitors weather conditions continuously with the National Weather Service. “We ensure that we are informed about impending weather conditions that may affect our ability to deliver educational offerings, and respond in the best interest of our students and employees,” Davis said. 

When closures or delayed openings occur, students can find out about the status of their campus by checking the local media, the college’s official social media channels, the Dallas College homepage or by signing up for alerts at dallascollege.edu.

Regarding the power outages caused by the Winter Storm Uri, a meeting was held mid-November to discuss alternate means of communication for Dallas College leadership in case of a power outage and to better prepare for the unexpected, Davis said.

Farmers’ Almanac, which predicted the 2021 winter storm, released a forecast in August predicting more frigid temperatures and another winter storm to hit Texas in late January 2022. 

According to federal forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center, above average temperatures are expected in the South this winter.