Dallas College to host Ilyasah Shabazz

Mykel Hilliard, Multimedia Editor

In celebration of Black History Month, Dallas College is hosting “A Conversation with Ilyasah Shabazz” at 10:30 a.m. on Feb. 23 via WebEx. In addition to being streamed online, each Dallas College campus will host in-person watch parties. Students, staff and faculty can watch the live stream from Room S220 at Brookhaven.

Shabazz, daughter of activists Malcolm X and Betty Shabazz, is an accomplished author, producer and educator. Throughout her career, Ilyasah has dedicated time to preserving the legacies of her parents.

Alexandria Gurley, Dallas College multicultural affairs coordinator, said she has heard Ilyasah speak in the past and feels the event will be informative. “We encourage everyone to try and attend at their respective campuses,” Gurley said. “It will be fun.”

Shabazz has authored five historical novels and serves as co-chairperson of the Malcolm X & Dr. Betty Shabazz Memorial and Educational Center. 

In addition to projects involving her parents, Ilyasah has facilitated projects that promote diversity, equity and inclusion. 

She worked with the office of academic affairs at City University of New York, where she was involved in creating a curriculum to encourage higher education for inner-city high school dropouts and underserved communities. Ilyasah also worked as director of public affairs and special events at the office of the mayor in Mount Vernon where she founded a young adult development program with goals to empower youth and provide insight on social justice. 

After high school, Ilyasah attended the State University of New York at New Paltz where she pledged to Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and served as an officer of the Black Student Union.

After graduating from SUNY, she earned a master’s degree in education, as well as human resource development from Fordham University. 

Today she serves on various committees including the Soar Higher Cabinet Committee for New Paltz College, the Advisory Council for the Equal Rights Amendment Coalition and serves as trustee for the Harlem Symphony Orchestra. 

Ilyasah currently works as an adjunct professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City, where she teaches perspectives on justice in the Africana world.