Dallas College updates mask policy per CDC

Brandon Donner

Marvin Quinteros, an American Building Maintenance member, removes mask mandate signage after the Feb. 28 update. Dallas College updated their mask policy to comply with changes made by the Centers for Disease Control and Dallas County.

Brandon Donner, Managing Editor

Dallas College updated its mask use policy for all students, staff and faculty to align with national guidance and local law. In a Feb. 28 collegewide email, Sharon Davis, chief business continuity officer, said, “Effective immediately, masks at Dallas College are now recommended, but not required.”

The new masking protocols follow announcements from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins in late February.

“When the executive order by Judge Jenkins was lifted, Dallas College was no longer in compliance with the county by continuing with the mask mandate,” Davis said.

“We will continue to watch the numbers and stay in contact with local, state and national authorities and stand ready to implement changes to our guidelines and protocols, if the situation warrants,” Davis said in an email to The Courier. 

At Brookhaven, many students continue to wear their masks in class and around campus.

“I just got used to it, I don’t see myself not wearing one,” Jocelyn Cervantes, a Brookhaven Campus student, said.

Other students are happy with the change in policy.

“I’m glad that it is over,” Nicole Lopez, a Brookhaven Campus student, said. “It was giving me acne and making my face sweaty.”

In a Feb. 16 email, Davis said the college would begin distributing two N95 masks to employees interested in obtaining them. Masks are still available from Information Central for any employee who has not picked up theirs.

Students, staff and faculty are still encouraged to wash hands regularly and socially distance when possible.