Q-and-A with Title IX coordinator

Brandon Donner

Photo of Francyenne Maynard

Amber Adefope, Contributing Writer

Title IX is the federal civil rights law that prohibits gender discrimination in federally funded educational programs. It was signed into law on June 23,

1972. Title IX marked the beginning of the women’s rights movement of the ’70s.

We have come a long way, but there is still plenty of work to be done for women in sports. For now Dallas College celebrates how this monumental bill revolutionized the lives of millions of women across the country for generations to come. The Courier interviewed Francyenne Maynard, Dallas College Title IX coordinator, to better understand Title IX and the impact if has had over the last 50 years.

Q: What is Title IX? Why is it important for students?
Title IX is a federal civil rights law which prohibits gender-based discrimination in all areas of education. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 specifically states that, “No person in the United States shall on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”

Title IX is important because it prohibits discrimination based on gender in the admissions process, in employment, as well as in providing program equity in athletics. Dallas College students, as well as employees, are protected under Title IX. In addition, Title IX also provides protections for students and employees who are pregnant.

Title IX also provides protections and support for those students and employees who have experienced gender-based discrimination in the forms of sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, stalking or any other form of sexual misconduct.

Q: How does Title IX impact student athletes?
Title IX provides for program equity in athletics. Title IX has been credited with an increase of opportunities for females participating in college sports.

Q: How can Title IX violations be reported?
Title IX violations should promptly be reported to the Title IX coordinator. To report any type of gender-based discrimination or sexual misconduct, such as sexual assault, stalking, dating violence or sexual harassment, there are three ways to make a report. Anonymous reporting is also an option.

Q: What does Dallas College do if a Title IX violation is determined?
Dallas College has an institutional responsibility to respond promptly to all allegations of sexual misconduct. For anyone who reports a Title IX violation, Dallas College will provide supportive measures as needed and we will do what is needed to stop the behavior and prevent any recurrence. Dallas College also prohibits retaliation for those who report incidents of Title IX violations.

Q: How can other students get involved on campus to make experiences better for women athletes and women students in general?
Males and females are both protected under Title IX. In my opinion, the best way to make experiences better for anyone who experiences discrimination based on gender or gender identity is to report it to the Title IX coordinator.

Q: Roe v. Wade was signed seven months after Title IX, so we saw an emergence in women’s rights. Since Roe v. Wade was overturned this year, how do you think this will affect women athletes moving forward?
With Roe being overturned, women need to be aware of resources as well as their rights.  Title IX prohibits discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy or recovery from any of these conditions.

If a student or an employee is pregnant, they have a right to accommodations if needed. Students may go to Accessibility Services and employees may go to Human Resources to request accommodations due to pregnancy.

Q: Patsy Mink, the first woman of color elected to the House of Representatives, helped push Title IX through Congress. Do you think hiring women of color in political roles betters the wellbeing of all people?
Yes, diversity in these roles brings different perspectives and lived experiences which aids in reflecting the communities that they serve.

Q: Do you think her playing sports in her youth had a role in why she went into politics and why she wanted to change the world?
I am not sure, but in my opinion, playing sports assists with leadership and advocacy – advocating for yourself and others to make things better. I think those traits that come from being in athletics probably helped her see a vision that would make things better.

Q: Title IX has been revised dozens of times since its original legislation, how does Title IX continue to liberate other groups outside of women athletes?
Title IX provides protections for discrimination based on gender and gender identity. Title IX does not only apply to sports. Title IX protects both males and females. Title IX also protects all types of students whether they are dual credit, part-time or full-time or taking classes in person or remotely.

Title IX also protects our employees, whether they are full-time or part-time or adjunct. Title IX provides protection from discrimination in employment, in the admissions process and while pursuing an education. Title IX provides protections and supports for those who have experienced sexual misconduct, sexual assault, dating violence or stalking. Title IX also provides protections for those who are pregnant.