V Building nears completion

A+bricklayer
Sheree Peart
Bricks are laid on to the outside of Building V on Sept. 1

Construction of the new V Building continues. Significant progress has been made since the start of the project in February 2022. The new building, which will be dedicated solely to the Early College High School students on campus, is set to open in the Spring 2024 semester.

Ivan Villegas, superintendent with Manhattan Contractors, said the construction team varies from 50-100 workers onsite at a time. Workers, as well as any visitors to the site, are fitted with reflective vests, eyewear and hard hats.

The project involves intricate elements, including storm drainage for the rooftop, a fire sprinkler system and Intelligent and Virtual Future in Communications which is essential for both intercom systems and general communication throughout the building.

Upon entering the first floor of the building, workers can be seen sanding down the once coarse walls which blocked off part of the student commons area. The building is being supplied with modern features such as energy efficient double pane windows that stretch 74 feet wide from the student common area which itself spans 5,530 square feet. The area will host up to 369 occupants. Outside of those windows is an outdoor greenspace view. New students will also find two classrooms, two study rooms, a computer lab, a physics lab, and a fully equipped kitchen.

Construction workers talk
Workers examine windows and wires in Building V. (Sheree Peart)

The second floor of the building will feature five classrooms, along with biology and chemistry labs, providing a hands-on learning environment for students. Open wires in the ceiling and circular holes in the ground mark where labs will be stationed. There are a total of eight bathrooms in the building. Some other features of the building include the slanted silver surfaces beneath the sinks in the bathrooms, designed to facilitate easy washing for individuals with mobility challenges.

Vincent Price, construction manager at Brookhaven Campus, has been a part of Brookhaven’s construction projects since 1992. Price has seen the campus change drastically over time.

Student talks with Manager
Courier staff member Sheree Peart interviews Vincent Price, Construction Manager at Brookhaven Campus on Sept. 1. (Henry Emannuel III)

Price said the construction process involves large lift trucks and cranes to handle various tasks. “All this,” Price said, “comes from a piece of dirt.”

Satcha Espinoza, an ECHS student, said she likes being able to walk around campus and find her own spot, but she is still excited for the new building. “I’m pretty sure that other people will like the cafeteria since they like being around their friends and stuff,” Espinoza said. “I think it’s also very helpful to have a study room, because some people like the environment where they can study. It’s quiet. Especially when they don’t have a place to go to after school so I think that will really be helpful for all the other students.”

Lifter moves through site
A lifter moves through the Building V construction site. (Sheree Peart)