Brookhaven students take home awards

Tania Kaufmann

During the Spring, students from Dallas College joined with other students from across the state in Houston, Texas to showcase their skills within the professional realm. All students were members of SkillsUSA. The conference was the Texas Postsecondary State Leadership and Skills Conference. On April 13-15, competitions of a wide variety took place. Brookhaven Campus students took home medals in multiple categories.

SkillsUSA website states: “SkillsUSA is America’s proud champion of the skilled trades. We’re a student-led partnership of education and industry that’s building the future skilled workforce our nation depends on with graduates who are career ready, day one.” The SkillsUSA state Championships are a part of a larger event known as the National Leadership and Skills Conference that brings together over 16,000 attendees, including industry partners and government officials.

Before the national event, students first compete within the state. Those who medal gold move forward to compete at the national level. Competitions are not only at state and national levels, but also at local, district, and international levels. The competitions at the national level are broken into three categories: Leadership, Occupationally Related, plus Skills and Technical. SkillsUSA Championship events can range in topic from Automotive Manufacturing Technology, Interactive Application and Video Game Development, and Culinary Arts. At the conference, many events were judged on preparation and presentation, which meant competitors had to plan meticulously. Even contestants’ attire was taken into consideration. Depending on the event one was competing in, competitors had to wear black slacks, socks and shoes in addition to the trademark red blazer of SkillsUSA.

Former Brookhaven student Tabitha N. Tudor competed exclusively in leadership events at the state level. Students were only allowed to partake in a maximum of two leadership events. At the state conference, Tudor participated in the Community Service and Prepared Speech events. Tudor said: “There were already two people competing with a community service project and they needed a third. I enjoy presenting and have great communication skills. So it felt like a perfect fit to join the team.”

Tudor, alongside fellow Brookhaven students Saulo Marins and Giovanni Turri, earned the gold medal for Community Service. Tudor said, “Through my experience in the Honors program and SkillsUSA, I grew incredibly confident in my ability to lead, communicate and contribute to my community, and tackle any obstacle in my way.”

Former Brookhaven student Supriya Sapkota said the conference reassured her of her skills and gave her confidence in areas she had not had before. Sapkota said, “Besides gaining confidence, it was a great way to learn from other students, teachers, and businesses who provided perspectives I wouldn’t usually experience.”

Tudor said she suggests students get involved in any extra programs available. “Dallas College has such a variety of resources for every student,” Tudor said. “I recommend that every student at Dallas College immerse themselves in what Special Academic Programs have to offer.”