Fitness Lab receives new equipment

Gym+equipment
Alejandro Murillo
Smith machines located in Room T123A.

The Brookhaven Campus Fitness Lab has received new fitness equipment for the Fall 2023 semester.

The lab is located in Room T123A, in the basement of T Building. Updated hours of operation this school year are 8 a.m.- 5 p.m, Monday through Friday. Previously, the fitness lab was open 7 a.m.- 5 p.m.

The fitness lab is accessible to all current Dallas College students, staff and faculty during normal hours, excluding specific hours for student class time. Jorge Rodriguez, fitness center manager, said peak hours for the facility are 11 a.m.- 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.- 4 p.m.

Rodriguez said new equipment in the Fitness Lab includes three recumbent bikes, one elliptical, one multifunctional system, one vertical abs machine and one rower.

Brookhaven student Jackie Cano said the Fitness Lab is an important resource for students . Cano said, “A lot of teenagers are insecure about their bodies, and it helps them get in shape or just come and feel better about themselves.”

Brookhaven student Kaden Roberson said he praises the Fitness Lab’s convenience because he is able to get a workout session in for at least 30-40 minutes between classes.

Students hesitant to use the Fitness Lab for the first time are presented with an inclusive setting. Rodriguez said: “[The facility offers] a safe and welcoming environment, where everybody feels comfortable working out regardless of their fitness goals or experience. It’s a space where you can hang out with friends and workout at the same time.”

Brookhaven is not the only campus with its own Fitness Lab. All Dallas College campuses include fitness labs. Hours may vary across each campus.

Other pieces of exercise equipment available for use in the lab include treadmills, stationary bikes, bench presses, dumbbells and barbells, among others.

Students who prefer an outdoor setting are not limited to the indoor Fitness Lab. Brookhaven offers both a two mile jogging trail and outdoor tennis courts for students to use.

Students who are unfamiliar with any piece of equipment are welcome to ask for assistance. Rodriguez said he encourages students to seek help when needed. “Feel free to ask any questions to our staff,” he said.