Lady Bears win 3rd consecutive title

Brookhaven women’s soccer team sets new record in their division with “threepeat” win and five national titles overall.
Courtesy of Jimmy Elder: Lady Bears team members and their coaches pose proudly with their award.

Brookhaven women’s soccer team, the Lady Bears, have won their third consecutive national title and their fifth national title, setting a record for the National Junior College Athletic Association for Division III women’s soccer.

Jimmy Elder, head coach of the Lady Bears, said he was incredibly proud of this championship, and this win was exceptional because the Lady Bears not only made a new record for themselves but also won against the No. 1 undefeated school, Delta College.

This season was full of firsts.

It was the first time a coaching staff won the national title five times. Elder said this was the team’s first “three-peat,” winning the last three years in succession, and only the second team ever in Division III to accomplish this. The Lady Bears ended their season 15-2-1.

Elder said: “We had a combination of great young student athletes. Our freshmen blended right in. We became a nice family during the last three months of ups and downs, juggling tough practices, travel, work schedules and demanding academic schedules.”

Dallas College Executive Athletic Director Sadiaa Jones in a press release on Nov. 14 said: “It is an honor to watch our athletes’ hard work and dedication, on and off the field, payoff on a national stage. To watch them do what they love, learn life lessons and earn a degree is inspiring.”

Elder said each player had their role in the Lady Bear’s success.

Elder said: “Our captains: Whitni Newbill, who provided us with a serious and motivated and fearless competitive spirit, and Bailey Clarke, whose tenacious, intelligent, and composed nature held the defense together when being assaulted by tough opponents.”

Elder also mentioned Kaley Robison. He said, “An on-field warrior, fearless and ready to take on any opponent, even if it meant doing it by herself.” Elder highlighted freshman goalkeeper Emma Garces, who he said was key in the championship game with several saves. Elder also spoke of Meah Perez and Kenya Reynolds, two defenders. He said, “They showed mature leadership and performance qualities all season.”

He also mentioned Gracie Murillo, as the team’s “dribble king.”

Finally, Elder highlighted Sayer Taylor. He said, “who created so many great opportunities but struggled to collect her goals until the final when she won the game for us by once again getting free and then scoring the winning goal.”