Dallas College celebrates LGBTQ+ History Month

Ivy Nguyen

While October is usually associated with Halloween and the fall days growing shorter, it is also LGBTQ+ History Month. This year, Dallas College’s Multicultural Affairs office hosted a slew of events for LGBTQ+ students and allies to participate in.

Dallas College wrapped up the last of its LGBTQ+ History Month events on Oct. 27.

Events such as the mixers that kicked off festivities and the annual “LGBTQ+ Student Summit” served as opportunities to mix and mingle in a safe environment, build community and learn about various resources offered at Dallas College.

Students also learned about community resources such as where they can find HIV testing. After a day of community building and breakout sessions, the summit closed with a performance by queer artist Spencer LaJoye.

“I do not think there was a dry eye in the audience by the end of the performance,” Heather Daily, program lead for Inclusive Excellence at Brookhaven Campus, said.

On Oct. 11, students celebrated National Coming Out Day at an event called Beyond the Closet: A Tribute to LGBTQ+ Pop Icons held on every campus. “This is a celebration of those who have either come out, are planning to come out, haven’t come out or eventually want to come out,” Nia Jackson, Multicultural Affairs coordinator, said. An LGBTQ+ history exhibition with cutouts of queer icons throughout history was used as a backdrop for photos, trivia and crossword puzzles.

Oct. 19 was a celebration of ballroom culture at the Brunch to Ballroom: Exploring the LGBTQ+ Culture and Movements event. Students explored the history of drag and ballroom and its origins in queer Black and Latino communities. The conversation was followed by a voguing demonstration by Chris Walker, a figure in Dallas ball culture.

As the end of the month neared, Multicultural Affairs hosted a virtual panel connecting the intersection of identity and faith at an event called Courageous Conversations: Exploring the Relationship Between LGBTQ+ Identities and Spirituality/Faith. DeShay Jackson, Aishah Amatullah and the Rev. Ray Jordan, who represent a range of faiths and beliefs, helped lead this conversation.

Closing the month out, a group of students, staff and faculty took to the streets of Oak Lawn, sometimes called the “Gayborhood,” for an LGBTQ+ cultural immersion field trip. Students participated in a scavenger hunt that led them around iconic landmarks and provided the chance to learn about the area’s queer history.

Among the stops was the Resource Center, one of the largest LGBTQ+ community centers in the U.S. The organization offers a number of affirming and wellness services students were able to learn about and plug into. “We are building community not just at school, but also outside,” Jackson said.

Daily said a student told her they were impacted by the visit to the Resource Center and they are now a volunteer and may work on an internship there.

“There has been a lot of positive feedback about the events,” Daily said. “I think it is really good for students.”

With Pride Month in June, some may question why it is necessary to celebrate LGBTQ+ History Month. Jackson said Pride Month has come to be a time of celebration. Meanwhile, LGBTQ+ History Month provides a chance to shed light on those who are in the community who have fought to make strides in activism and social justice, as well as celebrate those who came before. Jackson said, “It’s important to shed light on a community that has been through so much.”

The events also provided a space for students to find community in a safe environment. Daily said: “Being able to come together and have this sort of experience together and connecting with other people is a huge part of it. Being able to form and develop that community, among LGBTQ+ folks, is the biggest thing of why it is important.

Event turnout ranged from six to as many as 60 participants. Jackson said students are welcome to give feedback on the events to help staff know what they enjoyed, what could be improved and how they can do better.

Jackson said: “We do this to make our students feel safe, uplifted or affirmed. We want to have a presence on this campus where they know they can come somewhere if they need something, that they will be attended to.”