BHC athletes serve in food drive

Emmy Hardy
Dallas College student Stefan Wilson helps load food on Nov. 28.

The men’s basketball, women’s soccer, baseball and volleyball teams at Brookhaven Campus gathered in Parking Lot P3 to hand out food for the drive-thru pantry days event Nov. 28

Athletes, along with their coaches, and other students, staff and faculty volunteers loaded cars with vital resources. The drive was packed for nearly all of its duration of 10-12 p.m.

Vehicles formed a long wrap-around line to receive their packages, guided by many traffic directors.

Drive-thru pantry days is an ongoing Dallas College collaboration with the North Texas Food Bank, which provides the food. It was a first come, first served drive, so Dallas College on their Facebook page advised arriving early to the event.

LaShae Miller, student care coordinator at Brookhaven Campus, oversaw the event.

Miller said: “The benefit of this event is that we get to get food to those in need. They don’t have to go without.”

LaShae said drives such as this are essential to families in need. “We’re here to bridge that gap for them.” She said.

The next drive-thru pantry day is Dec. 20 at Richland.

Editor’s note:

This story is an example of a new section Brookhaven Courier is starting, called Around Campus.

A lot happens around campus; too much for The Courier staff to cover everything. 

Starting in Spring 2024, The Courier will be accepting and considering submissions from any interested students, staff or faculty.

If there is a campus or club event or other news we missed you think deserves coverage, send some photos of it to us. You can also include some text describing the event, sort of like a press release.

Be sure to include captions for all photos and provide full names for any people in them. All photos should be submitted as JPEGs.

The story below is an example of what a submission could look like.

Once submitted, The Courier staff will look them over and decide to run it or not. You can also stop by the newsroom if you want to pitch your ideas more directly.

Whether you are student, staff or faculty, we cannot wait to see what you have been doing around campus.