Binge Watch This: Spring Break 2024

Bored this Spring Break? Try streaming these movies and shows suggested by our staff. Whether your interests lie in gritty drama or fantastical adventures, Binge Watch This has you covered.

“Saltburn”

“Saltburn” is a tale of questionable actions, pride, jealousy, distrustful friends and passionate and depraved unrequited love, told to the audience in a slow and meaningful manner which ensures the twists and turns of the story are shocking. In Oxford, England, the main character Oliver, played by Barry Keoghan, finds himself entranced with his peers’ affluent lifestyles at university. He feels like he does not fit in with the cool crowd, particularly Felix, played by Jacob Elordi, the popular party boy who finds himself getting closer and closer to Oliver. Oliver paints a story of his life that entrances Felix, and they find themselves closer than ever and seemingly wrapped up in each other’s lives. After Felix invites Oliver to stay at his mansion in the countryside, chaos ensues. –AM

Kiki’s Delivery Service”

Adapted from the award-winning children’s novel, this Studio Ghibli production follows the story of a 13-year-old witch in training named Kiki, voiced by Minami Takayama, who steps out on her journey toward growing up and finding independence through everyday trials and tribulations. Kiki moves to a seaside town, armed with her amateur broom and accompanied by her black cat companion, Jiji, voiced by Rei Sakuma. Kiki settles down in the town, as is witch tradition, in hopes of discovering her own magic while also developing her skills.

From the art and animation style to the storyline and message of the movie, this is a feel-good coming of age tale anyone can enjoy. Being one of Hayao Miyazaki’s classic films, “Kiki’s Delivery Service” is a comfort film that captivates its audience by finding ways to speak on our shared daily yet unspoken struggles.

Through the sunny, brightly colored and dream-like animation, the film sheds light on the emergence of insecurity, loneliness and both emotional and physical burnout in the process of maturing. Finding out how to overcome such obstacles does not come simply, but with the help of Kiki’s friends, she manages to silence her doubts through self reflection and acceptance, all the while pursuing what she passionately loves. –JS

Violet Evergarden”

“Violet Evergarden” is a Japanese animated series about a young ex-soldier, voiced by Yui Ishikawa, whose experiences in war left her emotionally disconnected. The series follows her post-war journey, in which she becomes a ghost writer and through writing letters, discovers the intricacies of emotions and human connection.

Within the first minute of the drama, I knew “Violet Evergarden” was going to be amazing. If a series does not appeal to my eyes, then it cannot appeal to my heart. Each episode is enchanting to watch and crafted so delicately I couldn’t help but notice the amount of dedication this work of art must have taken. 

“Violet Evergarden” navigates the meaning of true love and self-discovery, in between well-paced and well-balanced  heartwarming and heart-wrenching moments. Each episode tells the unique and touching stories of Violet’s clients. These experiences progress Violet’s personal development. If you are looking for an emotional rollercoaster you can’t take your eyes off, then “Violet Evergarden” is perfect for you.

“Violet Evergarden” began as a Japanese light novel series written by Kana Akatsuki and illustrated by Akiko Takase, which was adapted by Kyoto Animation, the studio that gave us the movie “A Silent Voice” in 2018. The 13-episode series is available on Netflix. Also available on the service are “Violet Evergarden: The Movie,” “Violet Evergarden: Special,” “Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll” and “Violet Evergarden: Recollections.” –IN

Scavengers Reign”

“Scavengers Reign” is a 12-episode adult animated mini series about a group of survivors from the space freighter called the Demeter 227 that was damaged en route to a habitable twin planet. The sci-fi mini series is set in a dystopian universe.

The survivors escape via pods, which fling them in separate directions. Upon reaching the anomalous planet Vesta, three camps are formed. Sam, voiced by Bob Stephenson, and Ursula, voiced by Sunita Mani, make up one of these camps. They successfully call the Demeter down to the planet with the help of the strange yet useful flora and fauna surrounding them.

Azi, voiced by Wunmi Mosaku, and her quirk ridden robot Levi, voiced by Alia Shawkat, have their own self sustained camp in a desert style landscape, where they fight off giant forms of cattle. Kamen, voiced by Ted Travelstead, survives solo in the last camp; stuck and isolated until he finds Hollow – a telepathic entity.

The series showcases the shipwrecked crew’s living situations and challenges they face individually, as they are enveloped in a strange, magical, beautiful and at times, brutally violent ecosystem. This weird planet helps them as much as it hinders them

The creators of the series, Joseph Bennett and Charles Huettner, made a beautifully paced, thought-provoking animated series that pulls the audience into a call to be present. The level of deliberate detail put into the world building imagery makes for a hypnotic watch. The mini series is available to stream on Max. –TK