Total solar eclipse coming to North Texas

A total solar eclipse will occur in April and Brookhaven Campus will be an ideal spot to view it. A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon covers the sun completely, leaving the world in darkness for a couple of minutes during what is usually daylight. This is an extremely rare phenomenon. Chaz Hafey, astronomy, physics and geology labs specialist at Brookhaven, described the eclipse in more detail.

When is the total solar eclipse?

CH: On April 8, 2024, the moon will begin to cover the sun at 12:23:31 PM CDT.

Why is the Solar Eclipse significant?

CH: Only a few people on the planet Earth will get to see the solar eclipse. On April 8, 2024, we will be in the path of totality, where the moon will block out all of the sun. 

Here on campus, we will have 3 minutes and 21 seconds of a total solar eclipse; it’s going to look like it’s twilight, and you can see stars in the sky. The last time that happened was in the 1800s here in North Texas. The next time it will happen is July 9, 2317.

Where will you be watching the Eclipse?

CH: I’m not telling you, it won’t be here. I will be on what is called the center line. It will have 4 minutes and 20 seconds of totality. I have only seen one total solar eclipse; that was in 2017 in Roberts, Idaho. It was only about two minutes, and I want to see more.

Is Brookhaven hosting the solar eclipse?

CH: We will be one of the seven campuses of Dallas College that will have observing available. Every campus has a special solar eclipse telescope that was purchased in the fall to be used for viewing the eclipse. Most campuses have more than one solar eclipse telescope. 

We will have eclipse viewers, so people can look safely at the sun during the partial phases. Now, during totality, you don’t need anything except for your two eyeballs.  You have to have protection for your eyes if you can still see the sun. The retina does not have any sensation of pain, and if you stare at the sun, you can burn holes in your eyes. There will be parking lots dedicated to viewing the solar eclipse. More information will be added on the campus website before April 8.