Art exhibit opens

By Carmina Tiscareño

New Media Editor

cropped-pickedheader21-10

Brookhaven art student Karla Ceballos will showcase her work and the work of two other Brookhaven art students at her studio, Studio 3C3, in the Continental Gin Building in Deep Ellum this spring.

The Continental Gin Building hosts an open house to the public twice a year, usually in the spring and fall. This event allows people to see art in the artists’ own studio spaces.

Ceballos will share her studio for the exhibit with Shua Kwon, a current Brookhaven art student, and Francisco Josue Alvarado Araujo, a former Brookhaven art student April 25 and 26.

The three plan to showcase prints, installations, paintings and more. The theme is the artists decided on for the show is “Flesh and Connection.”

Ceballos, Kwon and Araujo are the only Brookhaven students showcasing their work at the Continental Gin Building along with 29 other artists. Ceballos said she is excited and that this is her first time sharing her studio with other artists.

Ceballos met Araujo in a Brookhaven printmaking class over the summer and met Kwon in a printmaking class during the spring semester. Kwon said this is the first time the three have connected through their artwork.

Araujo said he enjoys that he is not just making art for this show, but also getting to work with and know artists such as Ceballos and Kwon.

Ceballos, Kwon and Araujo said they have grown as artists thanks to the courses they have taken at Brookhaven. Kwon said art professors such as Chong Chu are great and keep her coming back to take more art courses at Brookhaven.

Kwon has showcased a few paintings in Dallas’ WAAS Gallery and Nerv Gallery. She said this is her first time branching out because she used to work weekends and was unable to participate in art shows. Araujo has displayed some of his work at well-known Dallas gallery 500X and has showcased paintings, installations, drawings, sculptures and prints at now-defunct Xue Gallery, formerly in East Dallas.

Araujo was a Brookhaven student from 2009 through 2011 and continues to take art courses during summer semesters. He currently attends the University of North Texas, but said the “Brookhaven art department is home.” Some of his art professors included Don Taylor, David Newman, Chancellor Page and Marla Ziegler.

Araujo developed an interest in art when he was younger. He would watch his brother draw low riders. In middle school, Araujo said it finally clicked that art was for him. He loved learning about the lives of artists and how they saw the world. He said he wanted to have the same view of the world as his favorite artists.

Most of the artwork Kwon plans to showcase includes painting, sculptures, prints and ceramics. She said she wants to com- bine those media in the future and make a new form of mixed media art.

Kwon started taking art courses in high school and then stepped away from it once she began college. After she finished her basics, Kwon took a drawing and design class, thinking she would not go back to doing art after the courses.

Kwon said she remembers having a conversation with Chu when he asked about her plans with art. Kwon told Chu she did not plan to take more art courses, but Chu said: “Yeah, I don’t think so. You’ll be back.” She said Chu and Newman helped her become more disciplined as an art student.

The Continental Gin Building is located at 3309 Elm St, and there is no charge to attend the show. The studios will also be open from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday April 25 and from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday April 26. Expect interactive painting and music provided by Max Sanchez, a friend of Ceballos. The students will also have artwork and refreshments for sale.