‘A Few Good Men’ cast in BHC play

By Kathryn Matheny

Auditions have taken place and roles have been cast for Theatre Brookhaven’s upcoming production of “A Few Good Men.” Written by Aaron Sorkin, the play follows military lawyers who uncover a high-level conspiracy during the court-martial of U.S. Marines accused of murder. The 1992 Academy Awardnominated film of the same name was adapted for the screen by Sorkin and starred Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson and Demi Moore. “This is the actual play the movie is based on,” Brookhaven theater assistant Karen Crowell said.

The play was Sorkin’s first and had a successful run on Broadway, Crowell said. “We have some fabulous male actors right now at Brookhaven,” Lisa Devine said, in regards to the director’s choice to put on a performance of “A Few Good Men.” “There are some pretty big differences between the play and the movie … besides the fact that it’s live and much more in the audience’s face.”There are 15 roles, composed of 14 male parts and one female part. Devine opened audition the for any females to try out for male roles as well as the female role.

The sets are designed by Charles Self, Theatre Brookhaven staff member and one of the directors, and will be built by the Brookhaven stagecraft class, stage manager Danielle Vance said. Space and the preference of the director are both determining factors into what sets are built as well as how many are built, Vance said.

Brookhaven sophomore Kevin Basu said he was just curious to see what it would be like to be on stage in front of people.This is the first play he has auditioned for. Performances will be at 8 p.m. Oct. 9-11 and 16-18. Matinee performances will be at 2:30 p.m. Oct. 12 and 19. For ticket prices and information, readers can contact the Brookhaven College School of the Arts at 972-860-4730. Tickets are not available in advance but can be purchased in person at the theater box office on the day of the performance. The box office is located in the C Building.