Spooky Trot vamps up BHC pantry

By Kathryn Matheny

Illustration by Sophia Espinosa
Illustration by Sophia Espinosa

Halloween is fast approaching, and there is one way Brookhaven College students can make a difference on campus while dressed as their favorite goblin or ghoul. The third annual Spooky Trot 5k Run/Walk takes place this Halloween to benefit the Phi Theta Kappa food pantry. The entry fee for students and faculty is 10 non-perishable food items. Costumes are not required but are encouraged, and there will be prizes for the best costumes.

There will also be prizes for the top three women and top three men who finish the race. Runners are to report to the Brookhaven jogging trail at 7:30 a.m., and those who are walking are to report at 8 a.m. Brookhaven

Police Officer Vikki Ethington first organized the Spooky Trot three years ago. “We needed a way to get the word out about having a food pantry, then when I saw the food pantry and it was less full, I thought this would be a good way to fulfill both needs,” Ethington said. Originally, the event was going to be the Brookhaven Turkey Trot. However, athletes wanting to participate only had Halloween available, and thus the Spooky Trot was born, she added.

Four years ago Phi Theta Kappa advisor and English for Speakers of Other Languages professor Sheri Van Court decided to start the food pantry as PTK’s annual service project. “It was always a dream of mine to have a food pantry at Brookhaven,” Van Court said. Van Court went on to explain why she thinks the food pantry is not well known on campus. “We wanted to be discreet,” she said. “For this reason we don’t advertise because some students … are not comfortable about it.”

The food pantry addresses a real need some students have. “We do have need in different areas. We have kids that are malnourished. Some don’t have the necessities just to have a good meal,” PTK Service Project Coordinator Jose Maldonado Ruiz said. “I grew up in a low-income family, so to me that does hit a little bit close to home … this does help.” For information about making donations or for those needing assistance, contact Van Court at [email protected]. Registration and information for the Spooky Trot can be found on the Brookhaven College Website.