BHC Bears face T-Ducks at final home game

Sports Column

By Sam Doherty

Georgia Tech has its “Hornet’s Nest,” Gonzaga has “The Kennel,” and here at Brookhaven College, Bears basketball head coach Kevin Hurst devises his game plan in “The Bears’ Den,” the unofficial title of the Brookhaven gym.

This weekend at 2:00 p.m. Feb. 2, could be your last chance of the season to see the Bears in action on their home turf. According to njcaa.org, the Bears have a record of 19-7 overall with three games left to go. If you haven’t been to game this season then you’re missing out on some school spirit and a lot of good basketball.

The Brookhaven Bears play an up-tempo, team oriented game by full court pressing from buzzer to buzzer, and using almost all 14 players on the team. Head coach Kevin Hurst he employees a, “you earn it,” coaching philosophy when it comes to his players.

If a player on the team has excellent practices all week, he could start the next game and if not, play extended minutes, Hurst said. This makes every student athlete accountable to the success of the team. This has proved a sound strategy this season, as the team’s fast pace has them averaging a robust 97 points per game which is second in the overall Division 3 rankings, according to njcaa.org.

This weekend the Brookhaven Bears men’s basketball team will face the Richland College Thunder Ducks, who coach Hurst referred to as the Bears biggest competition. So that should tell you right there, this game is going to be a doozy.

The T-Ducks are 20-3 so far on the season, and the Bears have a score to settle after suffering a 107-78 defeat against the Richland team on Jan. 21. That game was played at Richland College however, so maybe the home team advantage, and of course the cheers from the Brookhaven fans, will be the difference.

After the last home game, the men’s basketball team will play one more game against Eastfield College Feb. 11 before the MAC conference playoffs begin on Feb. 14. If we win these two games, there’s a chance one of the playoff games will be played here at home in the “Bears’ Den.”

With lightning fast play and players who can rebound and make highlight reel plays near the basket, this team is a riot to see in action. Coach Hurst said that with almost 14 players playing in each game, the best player out on the court changes from game to game. This makes it tough on opposing teams and really intriguing for our fans to watch, game in and game out. So don’t forget to come support your college this weekend by showing up for the men’s basketball team’s last home game of the season at 2 p.m., Feb. 7, in the Brookhaven “Bears’ Den.”

Check out the Feb. 16 edition for photos from the Feb 7. game against The Richland Thunder Ducks