Top four merriest movies

By Joie’ Thornton

Culture & Events Editor

Circle1

Editor’s list of the top classic holiday films and cartoons that capture seasonal spirit

Miracle on 34th Street’

Director George Seaton’s “Miracle on 34th Street” was released in 1947. The classic film stars the jolly old man in the big red suit – Kris Kringle, played by Edmund Gwenn. Kringle temporarily fills in for an ousted, intoxicated Santa in Macy’s annual Thanksgiving Day parade. Kringle wins over the guests with his gentle nature and magical mystique and is hired at the chain’s main store in midtown Manhattan. When Kringle tells customers and employees he is the real Santa Claus, his claims lead to Kringle proving his mental stability and more importantly, his authenticity, in court.

‘A Christmas Story’

“You’ll shoot your eye out,” Ralphie’s mom says to him when he reveals his only Christmas wish – a “Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model BB rifle with a compass in the stock and a thing which tells time.” The film is based on Jean Shepard’s novel “In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash.” The movie follows a young boy, Ralphie (Peter Billingsley), who spends most of his time trying to avoid bullies and dreaming of the perfect Christmas gift, a Red Ryder air rifle. While arguing with his dad and receiving love from his mom, Ralphie struggles to make it to Christmas Day with his glasses and his hope for his beloved Red Ryder in one piece.

‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’

Many people young and old are familiar with the childhood lore of Charlie Brown. A Charlie Brown Christmas,which aired as a TV short, was released in 1965. The animated movie is commentary on what society tends to feel about Christmas. Charlie Brown is fed up with his friends being too materialistic and apathetic. With Linus’ help, he tries to find the true meaning of Christmas.

‘Home Alone’

Macaulay Culkin became a household name when Home Alonewas released in 1990. The film instantly became a Christmas favorite. Home Aloneis about an 8-year-old boy, Kevin McCallister, who accidentally gets left behind when his family departs for a Christmas trip to Paris. After realizing his family mistakenly left him, McCallister celebrates by indulging in hoards of pizza, jumping on the bed and making a mess. His situation turns dangerous when he discovers two burglars, Harry and Marv, planning to rob his house on Christmas Eve. Kevin quickly comes up with schemes to ruin Harry and Marv’s plan.