Dallas’ best local stores for holiday shopping

By Carmina Tiscareño

Media & Fashion Editor

The holiday season often means chaotic shoppers in large masses and crowded malls with echoing sounds of crying children and few parking spaces. Skip the long lines and the big crowds at the mall and shop locally this holiday season. Whether one is looking for holiday gifts or just new jeans, here are a few stores worth checking out.

Milk & Honey Boutique

For women’s clothing, this boutique has several pieces, from sweaters to dresses and jewelry, all well under $100. The store is located on Henderson Ave., but anyone who feels lazy can shop from its website at milkandhoneyboutique.com. Its website has looks created for customers based on lifestyle blogs for simple shopping. The store caters to most styles, from bohemian to edgy. Store director Lindsay Smithers said the store has a little of everything for everyone. Milk & Honey Boutique is located at 1906 Henderson Ave. Store hours are Monday and Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., Wednesday through Friday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from noon. to 5 p.m.

Epocha

Epocha is the spot to visit for sneaker enthusiasts. Epocha also sells boots and dress shoes as well as button-ups, joggers and hats. The store has a hospitable and welcoming feel. It neatly showcases the shoes, and art decorates the store. Epocha does not sell brands such as Adidas or Nike but does sell Asics, Pony, Puma Saucony and Caminando. The store sells T-shirts from Dallas-based brands. Sales associate Leon Mckenzie said the store curates elevated street style pieces for customers. Mckenzie said anyone who likes shopping at NorthPark Center would love the pieces Epocha has to offer. The store’s goal is to select pieces people will wear more than once. The store is located in Deep Ellum, on Elm Street. Store hours are Wednesday to Friday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday noon. to 8 p.m. and Sunday noon. to 6 p.m.

Atama

Atama is not the typical toy store. Atama carries children’s toys and collectible brands such as Kid Robot. The toys are creative art, not on canvas, but in a different medium. The toys are imported or come from local and national artists. Atama features toys that have a blend of sculpture, vibrant colors and pop art. Some toys are collectibles and come in limited quantities. The store also offers vinyl and plush toys, apparel, books, art and prints. Atama is located at 5307 Mockingbird Lane. Hours are Monday through Thursday noon. to 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday noon. to 8:30 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.