Metroplex offers staycation hot spots

By Jessica Ayers

McKinney Avenue

Dallasites often tell visitors that this is the place you cannot leave Dallas without going; there’s a reason for that. The strip is filled with a multitude of places that will cater to almost any need, from retail shops and eateries to bars, and even quirky novelty shops for souvenirs to commemorate your trip. You can’t go wrong with choosing places to chow down. Places such as Dream Cafe even specialize in organic meals. After lunch, stop by Starbucks for a quick coffee, then hop on the trolley that will take you right over to the next hot spot on the list.

Sundance Square

In the heart of Fort Worth, you will find ample food and fun to fill your day. For some laughs, grab tickets to the Hyena’s Comedy Nightclub on Friday or Saturday nights. From there, you can dance the night away to live music at Queen City Music Hall. On Sundays, stop by Cowtown Diner for brunch. Be sure to have a slice of one of their pies for dessert. After that, enjoy the scenery from a table underneath one of four large umbrellas covering 55,000 square feet of the square. It’s a perfect way to relax and take in the sights and sounds of the city.

Denton Square

Whether you’re in the mood for Asian cuisine or burgers and fries, ice cream at Beth Marie’s or vintage albums and local music, the square has it all. Grab a few friends and catch one of the performances at the Campus Theatre. If you still have money left from Black Friday, then take a spin at the Industrial Arts District, where there’s plenty of retail therapy to be had. Once you’ve worked up an appetite, dine in one of the many restaurants, such as Sweetwater Grill & Tavern. Top off the night with some live music at Dan’s Silverleaf to dance the night away.

Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area

If shopping isn’t exactly your idea of a good time, this may be the place for you. For nature lovers or just for some fresh air, take advantage of the assortment of hikes and walks offered at the lake. From bird walks and night hikes to kayak tours and star gazing, there are plenty of ways to experience the great outdoors. There are even holiday-themed events such as the Homestead Christmas to gain an understanding of what it was like before the 1900s. For a wonderful mix of education and entertainment, this is the staycation you’ve been looking for.

The Arts District

The Arts District is nestled into the picturesque scenes of far north downtown. Choose from an assortment of museums to feed your creative mind. The Nasher Sculpture Center has exhibits and child-friendly events to include the whole family. Or sign up for one of the free art classes offered at the Dallas Museum of Art. If you want a mix of culture and creativity, browse the displays at the Crowe Museum of Asian Art. Just a few blocks down and under the overpass, there are always entertaining exhibits at the Perot Museum.