Music Editor’s Must-See Shows

By Evan Henry

Music Editor

A preview of upcoming shows in the Dallas area, hand-picked by The Courier’s award-winning resident music guru

Feb. 19

Red Bull Sound Select: The Coathangers, Nothing, Cutter at Trees

Each month Red Bull invites stellar acts of all kinds to our lovely city, and this month it presents Atlanta all-girl scuzzy garage trio The Coathangers, along with the ever ear-shattering Nothing. Dallas’ own Cutter opens, and admission is $3 with RSVP on Facebook.

Feb. 20

Jamaican Queens, iill, Def Rain at Crown and Harp

Show up early to this one as iill and Def Rain douse the crowd in pulsating electronic drones and rhythms that are simply hard to escape. Detroit “trap-hop” trio Jamaican Queens headlines.

Feb. 21

Convextion, Blixaboy, Party Static, Hex Cult at Pariah

On the other side of Dallas in the Cedars at Pariah is a disco punk party with the electro-edged dub artist Convextion and the sonically charged Blixaboy amid Party Static and Hex Cult. At a converted military bunker, this should be quite interesting.

Feb. 22

Moth Face, Prism Cloud, Michael Slack, Delay in the Universal Loop at Three Links

As part of King Camel’s Local Education residency at Three Links, the lovely, locally buzzing Moth Face headlines with stellar acts of a similar vein in pop music today. Delay in the Universal Loop, coming all the way from Italy, opens. Show up early.

Feb. 27

A Place To Bury Strangers, Creepoid, The Orange at Club Dada

If intense Brooklyn-based shoegaze fits your vibe, Club Dada is the place to be on this particular Friday night. With a new full-length album in tow, this show should be nothing short of an atmospheric wall of noise.

Feb. 28

Fungi Girls, The Zoltars at Three Links

Fort Worth’s Fungi Girls fail to disappoint. As always, this trio will present their take on surf, lo-fi and pop in a way that will demand more. Austin’s, The Zoltars, shred beforehand.