Local hotspots fit for whatever your tastes may be

OAK LAWN 

By Maddox Price

This half-mile strip is located north of downtown Dallas at Cedar Springs Road and Oak Lawn Avenue, squeezed between Highland Park, Uptown and the Design District. Out Traveler voted Oak Lawn “Best Gayborhood” in 2014, and for good reason. 

A. DISH has been a “Best of” favorite for Texas Monthly, The Dallas Morning News and D Magazine since its opening. The restaurant serves up moderately priced American comfort foods such as jalapeño mac and cheese. A local brunch favorite, DISH doesn’t disappoint with its dog-friendly patio and happy hour specials.

B. The last lesbian bar standing in Dallas is Sue Ellen’s. The bar has been around for decades and is a home for women and the transgender community alike. Sue Ellen’s hosts a weekly queer variety show, Tuesday Tease, where one can see burlesque, drag and live music in the same night.

C. From two-stepping fools to karaoke divas, Round-up Saloon caters to everyone’s inner cowboy. Even though Round-up is a gay bar, it’s not uncommon to see men and women stomping around the giant wood dance floor in line-dance fashion.

D. If eating and dancing aren’t fun enough, another interesting location is the Oak Lawn Library. According to the Dallas Voice, the Oak Lawn Library houses the second largest LGBT collection in the U.S.

BISHOP ARTS

By Gilda Ordonez

Bishop

After a few decades of ups and downs, this unique part of town is making a comeback. Bishop Arts is known as one of the coolest and most hip areas in Dallas by many of its residents. The area is peppered with outside dining, cafés and many restaurants to savor. This quaint neighborhood is recommended by many to enjoy a unique cultural experience.

A. Lockhart Smokehouse, located on West Davis Street, is no ordinary barbecue joint. The menu offers lean and juicy pork chops, ribs, chicken, turkey, sausages and many Southern favorites. For those who enjoy a cold beer with their choice of barbecue, selections from local breweries such as Lakewood Brewing Company are available.

B. Eno’s Pizza Tavern is a great place for pizza and microbrew lovers. The menu boasts a variety of delicious toppings and meat options. The restaurant has plenty of indoor and outdoor seating and offers a delivery service for late-night cravings.

C. Advocate Oak Cliff Magazine voted Espumoso Caffe on North Bishop Avenue best café in Oak Cliff. The heartbeat of this café resonates Latin with empanadas, smoothies and Latin desserts such as flan. Espumoso provides free Wi-Fi and stays open late on weekends. If students need a place to study with a great atmosphere, Espumoso is an ideal venue.

D. This corner restaurant is one of food critics’ favorite Bishop Arts joints. Whitehall Exchange provides smoked salmon and 20 different flatbread options. Whitehall Exchange is known for its cocktails and large variety of wine. The ambience created by the friendly staff makes this restaurant a popular choice.

LOWER GREENVILLE 

By Travis Baugh

Greenville Greeneville Avenue

Lower Greenville Avenue is an iconic part of Dallas, complete with unique places to eat, drink and see a show.

A. Originally built in 1946, the Granada Theater still retains an Art Deco vibe. Not just a music venue, the Granada also screens films, sports and TV shows. The classic venue boasts great sound and light systems, reasonable ticket prices and a constant stream of bands that will satisfy any musical taste.

B. Sundown offers drink specials almost every night of the week. With a large rooftop patio and a huge movie screen, Sundown shows sports games, TV shows, movies and free live music. The farm-to-table menu offerings are organic and GMO-free. Numerous vegetarian and vegan options are also available.

C. Truck Yard is a one-of-a-kind food truck and beer garden joint featuring an expansive, shaded outdoor area. A classic Airstream trailer converted into a bar and a tree house bar serve cocktails and brews. Each day, food trucks pull up and open their windows to hungry customers. Customers can dine on tables made from converted truck beds.

DEEP ELLUM 

By Evan Henry

Elm Street

In the past year, Deep Ellum has grown at a rapid rate. Stepping off at a DART stop, there is more to do than see a band you’ve barely heard. More stores, pizza parlors and donut shops are on the way. Deep Ellum is back. 

A. What doughnut shop stays open late and charges $5 per “gourmet” breakfast item? None other than Glazed Donut Works, as they’ve thought of everything to top a donut. Grilled cheese or caviar, anyone?

B. More than 100 years old, this former bowling alley and ballroom is an inviting space full of history. Featuring all sorts of events from dance lessons to acoustic jam nights to music shows, Sons of Hermann Hall is an exciting spot in Deep Ellum.

C. For all your film development and restoration needs, Photographique is the place to go. With more than 30 years of experience, this photo shop offers professional printing services, archival supplies and custom framing, as well.

D. The Rag Parlor is like a typical thrift store but with a much better selection. It’s a great place to find sweaters and old jean jackets for reasonable prices.

E. Three Links is one of the few all-ages venues in this suburb to catch a great show, even on a Monday night. This 70+ capacity space is open to nearly every style of musical expression, from electronic to country to punk rock.