Clinic offers healing, hope

By Gilda Ordonez 

Seasonal allergies may have some Brookhaven College students, faculty and staff feeling under the weather this semester. But a local clinic is offering a cure that will not break the bank.

QuestCare Clinic offers complimentary medical visits to the public, asking for a minimum $10 donation only if a patient’s budget allows, according to the clinic’s website. In 2011, a typical low-maintenance office visit for a new patient cost an average of $68, not including X-rays, according to debt.org. But QuestCare will treat symptoms with no strings attached.

Watermark Community Church helped launch QuestCare in 2013, according to watermark.org. “A Watermark member who’s a doctor saw a need and wanted to pay it forward,” Laura Trent, the clinic’s coordinator, said. “[He] partnered with Watermark’s mission to change lives and meet the spiritual health needs of his local neighborhood.

The Dallas Morning News ranked Watermark 2014’s “No. 2 Small Company” of the “Top 100 Places to Work.” The church and clinic are located fewer than five miles from each other off Interstate 635 near Highway 75.

“True religion is taking care of people,” Ryan Martin, head physical assistant, said. “Religion is not a building.”

Trent said QuestCare’s goal is to “show love in action through medical visits.”

A nurse walks the patient to an examination room to conduct an initial checkup. Moments later, the patient talks with a physical assistant student familiar with the patient’s medical history, who performs a full checkup before transferring him or her to Martin.

The staff members are professionals who volunteer to serve the community. Chris Viviano, a patient, said he has visited QuestCare multiple times. “I enjoy the friendly staff,” he said, “and I’m confident [I will] feel better after my visit.”

Trent said patients have the opportunity to receive information about Watermark or help in dealing with personal challenges. Later this spring, QuestCare will open a dental department to further meet the community’s needs.

According to Watermark’s website, the church staff wants to be known for being authentic, transparent and sincere of heart. The church works with local leaders to stop prostitution and close drug houses in South and West Dallas. This organization offers mentoring, tuition for orphans in Africa and a training school for rescued child soldiers in Uganda.

“We serve the hurting and hopeless through re:generation, a biblical recovery ministry that helps hundreds of people each week find hope in the midst of struggles with alcohol, pornography, addiction and more,” Watermark pastor Todd Wagner told The Dallas Morning News. “The medical opens the door to the spiritual and to model Christ in helping people.”