DCCCD celebrates 50 years

By Jubenal Aguilar

Copy Desk Chief

Jubenal Aguilar | Courier (From left to right: Dr. Mark Meyer; Dean, Health Occupations/Nursing, Lorena Cavazos; Faculty, Nursing, Monica Wenthold; Senior Administraive Assistant and Juanita Zapata Flint; Executive Assistant) from Brookhaven learn the steps to Silento’s “Watch Me” at DCCCD’s 50th Anniversary celebration.
Photo by Jubenal Aguilar | Courier From left to right: Dr. Mark Meyer; Dean, Health Occupations/Nursing, Lorena Cavazos; Faculty, Nursing, Monica Wenthold; Senior Administraive Assistant and Juanita Zapata Flint; Executive Assistant) from Brookhaven learn the steps to Silento’s “Watch Me” at DCCCD’s 50th Anniversary celebration.

The Dallas County Community College District kicked off the 2015-2016 school year with a grand celebration to honor the district’s 50th year. The land­mark event was held Aug. 28 at the Mesquite Convention Center and Exhibit Hall.

Nearly 3,000 current and for­mer administrators, support staff and faculty attended the stand­ing-room-only event. Ann Hatch, director of media affairs for the district office, said the last time the district came together as a whole was during the 45th anni­versary celebration.

Several elected officials attended the ceremony to com­memorate the district’s suc­cess, including Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins and County Commissioner Theresa Daniel.

Mayors Douglas Athas and Stan Pickett of Garland and Mesquite, respectively, as well as other local state legislators, recognized and congratulated the district’s achievements. They shared their personal connections to and experiences with DCCCD and presented the district with resolutions commemorating the milestone.

Since its creation on May 25, 1965, and with the opening of El Centro College in 1966, DCCCD has affected the lives of nearly 3 million students. “We have touched almost every fam­ily, every business, and every organization in Dallas County,” DCCCD Chancellor Joe May said.

In a written statement, Dr. Walter Bumphus, president and CEO of the American Association of Community Colleges and for­mer Brookhaven College presi­dent, said: “For 50 years, the district has been the standard by which colleges across Texas, and across the nation, measure themselves.”

May said the district leader­ship team and college presidents believe a new operational model should be implemented. “The model that we believe best fits our needs is a higher educa­tion network,” he said, “designed to build off our strengths while meeting the ever-changing needs of the communities we serve.”

This higher education network will be the nation’s first, May said, and will connect all seven colleges and five community campuses. “It will be designed to prevent individuals from falling through the cracks and to ensure that everyone will have access to the educational programs that are needed to align with their per­sonal goals,” May said.

May said: “We were among the first to say that age didn’t matter. That previous decisions didn’t matter. That no matter who you were, the Dallas County Community Colleges had a door wide enough for you to enter.”

A video featuring DCCCD fac­ulty and alumni showed the dif­ferent ways the district has affect­ed the lives of those it reaches.

Outstanding employees were recognized for their work dur­ing the previous school year with the 2014-2015 District Awards. Several Brookhaven faculty and staff were among the recipients.

Oscar Lopez, vice president of student services and enroll­ment management, was awarded the Administrator of the Year award. Beverly Menassa, associ­ate dean of student support ser­vices, received the Jean Sharon Griffith Leadership Award. Susan Reinke, adjunct professor for Brookhaven’s Department of Geology, received the Part Time Excellence in Teaching award.

Darise Error, theater professor, was recognized with the 2015- 2016 Excellence in Teaching award, which was awarded to one professor at each campus by the DCCCD Faculty Association.

The celebration continued into the afternoon with a series of breakout sessions, where attend­ees had the opportunity to join administrators for progressive group planning, share their mem­ories on video or participate in special topic roundtables. Popular recreational activities included DCCCD Bingo, a lip-sync contest, line dancing and a magic show with magician Trigg Watson.

“I participated in Bingo, and then I got trapped in the line dance room,” Dominica McCarthy, Brookhaven director of career services, said. “It was addicting.”

The line dance session was lead by Marielle McGregor, district office senior digital editor and writer. Despite not knowing some of the dances, McCarthy said they were broken down easily.

The chancellor took the oppor­tunity to encourage everyone to look to the future of the district.

“To all of you who are leaders within our colleges, to our com­mitted faculty and staff, it is time, once again, for us to think like founders,” May said. “It is time for us to build off of our rich and powerful heritage but also to real­ize that we will need to become a different institution as we embark on the next 50 years.”

May said the district leader­ship team and college presidents believe a new operational model should be implemented. “The model that we believe best fits our needs is a higher education net­work,” he said “designed to build off our strengths while meeting the ever-changing needs of the communities we serve.”

This higher education network will be the nation’s first, May said, and will connect all seven colleges and five community campuses. “It will be designed to prevent individuals from falling through the cracks and to ensure that everyone will have access to the educational programs that are needed to align with their personal goals,” May said.