Bears continue streak, shut out T-Ducks

By Sam Doherty

Sports/Opinions Editor

All photos by Brigitte Zumaya | Clockwise from left: Taylor Stone (#14) focuses intensely on setting the volleyball for a Lady Bear to kill
All photos by Brigitte Zumaya | Taylor Stone (#14)
focuses intensely on setting the volleyball for a Lady Bear to kill

The Brookhaven College Lady Bears’ volleyball team added one more win to their record Sept. 24, dominating the Richland College Thunderducks with a final score of 3-0. Coming into the match after a victory over Eastfield College two nights prior, Brookhaven was looking to stay on a roll in conference play. It took about one hour for the Lady Bears to sweep the Thunderducks, winning the first three sets of a five-set match.

Lady Bears huddle up and restrategize.
Lady Bears huddle up and restrategize.

Set 1

After taking the lead 3-2 on a point made by Alexis Garner, the Lady Bears never relinquished the lead again inSet 1. On the next play, Mathis Popelsky set the tone with a service ace that whizzed by the Thunderduck defenders.

Popelsky kept the momentum on Brookhaven’s side with two digs by her feet, the second setting up a point, making the score 9-5.

Taylor Stone set up consecutive spikes for her teammates, including a rocket shot off the hand of Kelsey Rogers, bringing the score to 17-9. Stone set up another spike for Garner, which was followed by another set-up for teammate Erin Terry on the following play. Terry spiked it with authority for the point, giving Brookhaven a 10-point advantage at 21-11.

Samantha Eaton shone throughout the match, especially toward the end of Set 1. She showed perfect touch on a dink shot near the net, throwing off the Thunderduck defenders for the point. A few points later, she hit a cut shot down the power alley on Richland’s side of the net, turning her spike into the set winner and sealing the victory for Brookhaven, 25-14.

Lady Bear Chelsea James (#3) dominates an attack against Richland College Thunderduck players
Lady Bear Chelsea James (#3) dominates an attack against Richland College Thunderduck players

Set 2

Set 2 started off with a bang as Terry smashed a spike for the first point of the set, the first of many to come from the outside hitter and National Junior College Athletic Association Player of the Week.

The gym was filled with excitement as the Lady Bears attacked the net on every approach. Rogers jumped sky-high for a beautiful spike down the right side of the court as the crowd erupted, increasing Brookhaven’s lead 6-1.

Terry scored on two consecutive spikes. The first had perfect placement and the second showed pure power, hitting a Thunderduck player in the head. Both spikes scored for Brookhaven and sent a clear message to the opposing team.

The Lady Bears took Set 2 with a final score of 25-9.

Stone (#14)  sets the ball for Erin Terry (#9), who rushes in for a kill.
Stone (#14) sets the ball for Erin Terry (#9), who rushes in for a kill.

Set 3

Set 3 was less of a shutout for the T-Ducks, but Brookhaven ran multiple sets and faked out the Thunderduck defense time and time again. Richland started the set off tight, tying the score at 8-8 after a long serve by Brookhaven. Terry once again took the lead for Brookhaven with a spike that ricocheted off the outstretched arms of the Thunderduck blockers, making the score 9-8.

Lady Bears Crystal Lewis and Chelsea James took charge and brought the heat with powerful spikes, scoring multiple points throughout the set. Stone again set up one of her teammates, Nia Wilson, for a beautiful spike, cushioning the lead to 15-10.

Terry made an outstanding save off a Richland serve and passed to Brookhaven’s Stone. Terry ran down the middle of the court as Stone set up yet another beautiful running spike for Terry, making the score 19-13.

Stone set up many more spikes for her teammates in the remainder of the match. The last one was made for James, who launched a kill off a Richland defender for the win, 25-14.

There were few reception and service errors for the Lady Bears, which was one of many reasons Brookhaven was able to dominate Richland. “Experience and commitment to the program are key factors in our victory over Richland,” head coach Jason Hopkins said.

After torching the Thunderducks, the Lady Bears are 2-0 in conference play with an overall record of 12-7.