Drama unfolds in ‘Deathtrap’

By Brigitte Zumaya

Chief Layout Editor

Photo by Brigitte Zumaya | Director Charles Self (center) guides students Charles Grissom and Eric Bradley during a rehearsal on Sept. 29.

Auditions for the Brookhaven College production of Ira Levin’s “Deathtrap” recently came to an end. Five students will perform in the 1978 comedy-thriller play.

Theatre Brookhaven will perform “Deathtrap,” at 8 p.m. on Oct. 15-17 and Oct. 22-24, and at 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 18 and 25 in the Performance Hall. The two-act play will be performed on one set, designed by Charles Self, Brookhaven technical theater specialist. He also designed the lighting, and is directing the production.

“Deathtrap” opened on Broadway in February 1978, and ran for 1,793 performances, making it the longest-running comedy- thriller in Broadway history, according to imdb.com.

The play tells the story of Sidney Bruhl, a once successful playwright who is looking to jump-start his career. His former student’s new play might be just the thing Bruhl needs to get back on top, so he plots to take it – by any means.

“My favorite part of the show really is all the reversals,” Self said. “All the times when you expectations get built up to a point and then instead of going the way you thought, it’s completely the opposite.”

The next Theatre Brookhaven production, “The Last Days of Judas Iscariot,” by Stephen Adly Guirgis, will be directed by Darise H. Error, and begin in December.

For more information email Theatre Brookhaven at [email protected] or call 972-860-4730.