DCCCD welcomes three new trustees

By Diamond Victoria
Editor-in-Chief

Photo courtesy of Ann Hatch Charletta Rogers Compton, board of trustees chair, swears in District 2 trustee-elect Philip Ritter on June 7.
Photo courtesy of Ann Hatch
Charletta Rogers Compton, board of trustees chair, swears in District 2 trustee-elect Philip Ritter on June 7.

The Dallas County Community College District announced three new members to the board of trustees before the start of the fall semester. The new members, Philip J. Ritter, Dorothy Zimmermann and Monica Lira Bravo now represent districts 2, 3 and 4, respectively.

“I welcome trustees Zimmermann and Lira Bravo to the board, and I look forward to working with them,” Charletta Rogers Compton, board of trustees chair, said in a district press release. Zimmermann and Lira Bravo were sworn in June 29 after winning the June 18 runoff elections for their districts. Ritter was sworn in June 7.

Michael Dennehy, associate vice president of planning, research and institutional effectiveness, said the board members represent tax payers in district affairs.

“[Brookhaven’s] strategic priorities are meant to line up with theirs,” Dennehy said.

He also said for the first time, a budget manual, the 2016-2017 Budget Book, has been uploaded to a district website. The manual breaks down each section of the budget and the amount of funds that have been approved.

The board of trustees is also made up of Diana Flores, vice chair; Wesley Jameson and J.L. “Sonny” Williams, board audit committee chair. The board’s mission is to equip students for successful living and responsible citizenship in a rapidly changing local, national and world community, according to the district website.

Brookhaven falls into District 2, which includes portions of downtown, north Dallas and the northwest corner of Dallas County.

Zimmermann succeeded Jerry Prater, who retired after 12 years of service with DCCCD, according to an email from Ann Hatch, district director of media relations. Lira Bravo succeeded Bill Metzger, who started his term in 2010, and Ritter is taking over for Bob Ferguson, who retired after serving on the board since 2004.

The board has met seven times since the introduction of the new members. The latest meeting, held Sept. 6, addressed topics including facilities management, current funds operating budget and approval of amendments to policy concerning student rights and responsibilities, according to the district website.

According to the budget manual, the board approved the 2017 fiscal year budget, which did not include any raises in tuition.

“I especially value the policy setting, vision and overall focus that the DCCCD board of trustees provides with our Chancellor, Dr. Joe May,” Thom Chesney, Brookhaven president, said in an email to The Courier.