SkillsShop teaches importance of intellect

By Monica Mitrovic

The Brookhaven College Counseling Center hosted the SkillsShop “Success = Smart + Savvy” aimed at teaching students the importance of mental and emotional intelligence and how they go hand in hand to forge a successful and fulfilling life.

Rhonda Dalrymple, a Brookhaven professional counselor, led the standing-room-only workshop Oct. 4 in S064 and provided self-help handouts and brochures to those in attendance.

Dalrymple began her presentation on how to increase emotional intelligence, also known as EQ, and the four attributes of EQ – self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management.

“It’s a normal issue, to be able to take the thoughts that are going into your head and direct them in [a more positive way],” Taylor Forker, a student, said.

Dalrymple said these attributes improve the overall quality of life. She added that they can reduce stress because they allow students to express their emotions, communicate effectively and increase empathy. They also help students be more in tune with their surroundings, and they defuse conflict and prevent fallouts from miscommunication.

Dalrymple began the SkillsShop with an exercise for students to identify different emotions through facial features, such as furrowed brows or wide eyes.

Dalrymple added that emotional intelligence is knowing how to handle one’s emotions in positive ways, recognizing the emotions of others and trying to understand what others are experiencing emotionally.

Dalrymple said social awareness is understanding the needs, emotions and concerns of others, carving communication pathways. She said relationship management is all about communication and trying your best to understand others.

Dalrymple acknowledged that intellectual intelligence, also known as IQ, is important, but stressed that it was not enough. Dalrymple read a paraphrase from David Goleman: “We are not just smart by our training and expertise, but by how well we handle ourselves and each other.” Goleman is a New York Times best-selling author of the book “Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ.”

One student said society values those with intellect but ignores those with emotional intelligence, deeming them inferior on a social status level.

The next SkillsShop will be held at 1:30 p.m. Oct. 25 in S064 and will discuss healthy and unhealthy personal relationships.