Dallasites protest election results, Trump’s rhetoric

Juan Betancourt
Sports Editor

Protesters took to the streets in Dallas and across the U.S. to show their concerns after Republican nominee Donald Trump won the 2016 presidential election.

The night after Election Day, approximately 300 people gathered at AT&T Plaza in Victory Park in downtown Dallas for a peaceful protest against President-elect Trump.

Photos by Juan Betancourt
Protesters gather Nov. 9 outside AT&T Plaza in Dallas to protests President-elect Donald Trump’s victory in the 2016 presidential election.

Trump won the election by a winning 306 electoral votes while Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton took 232, according to CNN. However, Trump did not win the popular vote. Clinton won the popular election by a margin of over 2.8 million ballots cast in her favor nationwide, according to The Independent.

Trumps victory marks largest margin in an election where the winning candidate did not win the popular vote, according to CNN.

The protesters said Trump was not their president despite winning the presidential bid. They carried signs that read, “Not My President,” “Impeach Trump” and “Love Trumps Hates”

Dominque Alexander, a local activist leader of Next Generation Action Network, a Dallas activisit group that speaks out for civil rights, organized and led the protest.

Protesters applauded and cheered as Alexander spoke.

“We don’t have to guess, we know that hate lives in America,” Alexander said. “Who’s going to stand up for that?”

“Us. We are,” the crowd said in responce.

Trump won 38 Electoral College votes from Texas, according to CNN. In Dallas, 61.1 percent of voters chose Clinton as the candidate of their choice.

The majority of the protesters were millennials from diverse racial backgrounds.

During his presidential campaign, Trump said he would build a wall along the border with Mexico.  He also made other other racial and derogatory comments that made people question his ability to lead, according to politifact.com.

Maria Adame, a protester, gets the word illegal written on her forehead during the Nov. 9 anti-Trump protest.

Maria Adame, a protester, showed her opposition to Trump by having the word illegal written in marker on her forehead.

“The reason I wrote this, is because a lot of us are coming out as who we are,” Adame said.

Another protester, Audriana Zirakca, showed a Spanish sign that read, “No es mi Presidente,” which translates as “not my president.”

“My dad just recently got his residency, but my mom is still undocumented and I worry about what’s going to happen to her,” Zirakca said.

After Alexander spoke to the public, he led a march across the city.

Chants of “Who’s streets? Our streets,” and “This is what democracy looks like,” filled the streets as the protesters marched.

Dallas Police Department officers blocked the streets to maintain control of the protest.

Next Generation Action Network leaders repeatedly told supporters to stay on the sidewalk so the march could proceed without interruption from the officers.

The march ended in AT&T Plaza where Alexander made closing statements.

“What we did here today was beautiful,” he said.

Protesters hold flags and signs to show their opposition to the results of the presidential election.

This is not the first time Next Generation Network has protested against national controversy. The group made national news July 7 after organizing a peaceful protest that ended in violence after Micah Johnson killed five Dallas officers and injured 11 others, inlcuding two civilians, according to NPR.

Seven anti-Trump protests were assembled by the group between Nov. 9-18. The group has confirmed through Facebook that it will protest against the Electoral College vote Dec. 19 in Austin.

No arrests were made at the Dallas protest.