Horton highlights political career

Stephanie Salas-Vega, Associate Layout Editor

Ashleigh Horton, a Brookhaven College student and founding member of the Campus Activities Board, has played roles in several clubs during her two and a half years on campus, including the Brookhaven Student Government Association, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Student Ambassadors and Student Veterans Association. But her largest roles served the entire Dallas County Community College District when she served as Region II president and state vice president of the Texas Junior College Student Government Association.

TJCSGA is the only student-run organization in Texas that promotes community college students at a local, regional, state and national level, according to tjcsga.org. Horton served locally, regionally and statewide.

However, Horton’s success as a student politician did not always go as planned.

After serving as SGA senator, Horton lost the 2015 SGA presidential election against Lauren Orosco by 17 votes. Horton said she felt defeated. “I probably cried harder than I’ve ever cried before,” she said. “It was such an emotional wound for me because I had put everything I had into it.”

Horton said she was heartbroken and felt like she had let the people rooting for her down – including herself.

Rebekah Benavides, student program development coordinator, said Horton and Orosco ran a very close race in terms of marketing and advertising because of their similar personalities.

“But it was a people’s choice, and that’s how a democracy works,” Horton said. “And I had to accept it and move on.” But Horton said it was the best failure that could have ever happened to her.

“A week later I became regional president, which is so much bigger than what a local presidency is,” Horton said. She said Brian Borski, the Office of Student Life director, advised her to run for the regional position at TJCSGA’s annual state convention. In the Spring 2016 semester, Horton said she also took over the state vice president duties.

“God had a better plan for me. [I thought], where he closes one door, he will open a window, and maybe this window could be regional president,” Horton said. She was vice president and then parliamentarian in Brookhaven SGA while also maintaining the Region II presidency.

Horton said she put her heart and soul into running for the position. “I thought it was way bigger than myself,” she said.

As president, Horton organized keynote speakers and evening entertainment and scheduled educational workshops for the TJCSGA state convention March 30-April 2 in Houston.

Horton ended her term as state vice president during the convention and said she looks forward to enjoying the rest of her time in college.

“It’s been a ride, but I’ve loved every minute of it,” Horton said. Borski said she is probably the most dedicated person in the SGA.

Horton said she plans to major in political science and continue to advance her career in politics.

“I feel like I can make a great impact on Dallas, on Texas, on the U.S. and maybe even the world,” Horton said. “Depending [on] where God takes me.”