Fair offers career opportunities

By Infinity Holloway

Brookhaven College students and the local community met and connected with a diverse group of companies offering employment opportunities at the Spring Career Fair. Nearly 300 attendees explored career opportunities at the April 6 event in the gymnasium.

Companies offered information about their businesses and career opportunities. Adam Clawson, a senior career specialist in the Career Development Center, said some of the companies and businesses could offer positions on-site.

Opportunities ranged from internships with insurance companies to positions with the Dallas Police Department, as well as part-time positions at places such as QuikTrip and Amazon.

Clawson said the Career Development Center offered workshops prior to the fair to prepare job seekers for the event. The workshops covered topics such as dressing professionally and preparing a clear, easy-to-read resume.

“You have a chance to make a first impression on an employer who could offer you a position on the spot,” Clawson said. “You could walk in without a job and leave with a job.”

Participants at the fair were asked to join Purple Briefcase, a job-seeking database that constructs a profile and lists job opportunities.

Debbie Henry, human resource manager for radio station KKDA-FM K104, said the fair also provided a learning experience.

KKDA-FM K104 was one of the fair sponsors and promoted the event. “This is a great experience for students, I think. They can talk to people in a different workforce,” Henry said.

Job seekers were also encouraged to learn more about the workforce. Henry said students could get the opinions and advice from people already in the industries they might be interested in. Which would help students decide if they are going into the right career.