Fresh produce to be given away on campus

By Stephanie Colmenero

About 4,500 pounds of free, fresh produce will be handed out to Brookhaven College students, staff, faculty and the local community 2:30-4:30 p.m. Dec. 12 in the parking lot between M and P buildings.

This will be the second time the North Texas Food Truck and The Cave, Brookhaven College’s food pantry, host the Totally Free Food Truck.

The first time was Nov. 14 when Brookhaveans received 3,000 pounds of food, Jennifer Allen, a history professor, said in an email to The Courier. In less than two hours, more than 200 families received free produce last month.

Allen said the food truck will return to Brookhaven the second Tuesday of every month, no matter the weather. More produce will be handed out to those in need.

Students, staff, faculty and anyone who is in need of food are welcome, Allen said. Everyone who visits the North Texas Food Bank mobile food truck is asked to provide their name, date of birth and the number of people in their household. This information will only be used for statistical purposes, Allen said. No forms of identification are required to receive food.

There will be volunteers who speak various languages during the event.

The idea for the free food truck was inspired by the NTFB’s visit to The Cave at the start of the semester. The NTFB workers discussed the lack of food in the community, Allen said. She said there are few options in the area around campus other than the Metrocrest. The NTFB will continue to help Brookhaven until it is able to receive grant awards and corporate partnerships.

In a study done by the U.S. News & World Report, 71 percent of students have changed their food shopping and eating habits due to a lack of money. Seven percent of two-year college students went an entire day without eating because they did not have money.

Allen said she has first-hand experience of being a hungry college student. “I wished that I had access to a food pantry or fresh food when I was in college,” she said.

Allen said: “I do not believe it is about me. The thought of someone in my community or one of my students going hungry is not something I can personally accept.”

People can volunteer to help in The Cave or with the NTFB mobile food truck by emailing [email protected].

“It is my responsibility to contribute to my community with my time, talent and treasure,” Allen said. “So, this is why I do what I do, and why so many people on this campus do the same thing to help each other.”