Two-year colleges could be practical for some students

High school students find attending a two-year college beneficial.

By Charlotte Blackburn
Contributing Writer

Illustration by Eriana Ruiz

While some students think heading straight to a four-year university is the ideal plan, according to USA Today, attending a two-year community college first can benefit them greatly. Over time, a rise in high school students enrolling in two-year colleges first has drastically increased.

LOW TUITION

Remington Koch, a Brookhaven College senior academic adviser, said one of the most significant benefits of attending a Dallas County Community College District campus is low tuition costs. As tuition coninues to increase each year, most students have to prepare themselves for college debt after graduation.

However, Koch said: “Community colleges are recognizably more affordable than most four-year institutions. What you get for the quality versus a university, especially for the core curriculum, it’s definitely worth it and far less expensive.”

According to Unigo, a networking website that aids college students in finding college information, many community college students live with parents while taking classes and saving money that would usually be spent on room and board and food. Aksa Samuel, a student, said, “Being able to live at home with my parents is amazing because I’ve saved up more money from my job than I would have if I lived alone.”

IMPROVE GRADES

Attending a two-year college first can also aid in the improvement of grades, a better GPA and provide a better transfer process to a four-year university.  According to Unigo, taking prerequisite classes, such as lower-level math, science or English courses, can make up for poor grades in high school.

Daniela Canas, a student, said, “Brookhaven has helped improve my grades and gives me a feeling of what college is like.” Canas said she took a developmental composition course to help improve her overall grade.

SMALL CLASSES

For those who suffer from anxiety, going to a university with thousands of other students can be intimidating. According to U.S. News & World Report, attending a community college first can aid in an easier transition to a university by slowly introducing a student to more people.

Once a student has spent two years at a community college, they are often better composed to proceed to the next level, whether it is a four-year university to finish their bachelor’s degree or head straight into the professional workforce with the experience and training they have gained.

According to Unigo, smaller class sizes at a community college also allow for a more individualized approach, giving students the opportunity to work closely with their professors, other faculty members and students. The smaller class sizes typically center on discussions and participation and permit students to learn in a more interactive environment, which is less likely to happen in a large university lecture hall.

“I think smaller classes benefit me by actually getting to know the professor and knowing that they know who I am personally,” Canas said. “Not just by a number in her classroom.”