Dallas offers plethora of taquerias

By Stephanie Colmenero
Managing Editor/Web & Social Media Director

Trompo 839 Singleton Blvd #150    Dallas, TX 75112

Nestled between a barbeque restaurant and a tire shop, Trompo is a casual place with some of the best authentic street tacos in Dallas. While the selection at Trompo is lighter during the day, its menu is well-rounded and robust. Patrons have the option of three taco fillings – pork, bistek, and roasted poblano pepper and paneer for vegetarians. Trompo keeps its tacos simple, adding only cilantro and white onion. The pork at Trompo is fiery red, redder than what you might find in most southern Mexican street tacos. This is because its pork is coated in several kinds of paprika before being cooked, according to the Dallas Observer. Tacos can be purchased at $2 each.

Resident Taqueria

9661 Audelia Road Suite #112    Dallas, TX 75238

Named Best Tacos and Best New Restaurant by D Magazine in 2016, Resident is built around a family-friendly setting and casual atmosphere. There is nothing better than made-to-order tortillas and seasonal, locally produced, slow-braised meats. Resident is a place you will want to stop by while passing through Lake Highlands. Taco options range from pecan-smoked chicken and beef short ribs to glazed pork belly and daily fish tempura, not to mention their all-day breakfast tacos. All of these are served with either arbol, guajillo or salsa verde. Taco prices range from $3-4.

Revolver Taco Lounge 

2701 Main St. Suite #120    Dallas, TX 75226

Owned by Regino Rojas, Revolver Taco Lounge is dedicated to making upscale tacos with in-house, handmade corn tortillas. Revolver Taco Lounge was named D Magazine’s Best Taco Joint in 2017 and 2018, won D Magazine’s Best Tacos 2013 and Best New Restaurants 2017. There are a couple of different stories about how Revolver got its name, according to the Dallas Observer. Some say the name comes from the handcrafted designs of Arturo Rojas, a legendary gunmaker. Others claim its tacos al pastor – fire-roasted marinated pork tacos – are so pound-the-table delicious the whole solar system stopped revolving around the sun. Believe whatever you want – these tacos have made a name for themselves in the metroplex. The tacos al pastor come with grilled pineapple, Mexican sautéed squash in olive oil, onion, sweet corn and queso fresco. Taco prices range from $3.50-10.

El Tizoncito

2701 Main St. Suite #120   Dallas, TX 75226

El Tizoncito, or El Tiz, was awarded Best Tacos in 2013 by D Magazine. When visiting El Tizoncito, don’t expect the typical chips and salsa. This restaurant serves authentic, affordable Mexican food that will have guests coming back for more. The standard taco plate order comes with four soft tacos on double corn tortillas and the option of pork, beef or chicken. In a time-consuming process, the kitchen stacks marinated slices of pork onto a giant spit, according to the Dallas Observer. Taco plate prices range from $7.50-8.50 a plate. If tacos are not enough to fill you up, something else from the menu is bound to catch your eye, such as sopes – thin and shallow crispy shells of corn dough topped with your choice of meat.

La Fonda de Don Chuy

La Fonda de Don Chuy inside Supermercado Moneterry, a North Texas grocery store chain, is not a typical dine-in restaurant. With just a counter to give your order and a small dining area along the grocery store’s windows, its main specialty is tacos de guisados – stewed meat, according to the Dallas Observer. Some of these guisados are a bit tricky because they contain bone-in chopped ribs. They also have stand-out shredded beef tacos and barbacoa – beef often made from the head of cow. This place is cash only, so don’t forget to swing by the ATM.