Volleyball team snags 3-0 victory

By Malen Blackmon
Sports Editor

The Brookhaven College volleyball team beat Mountain View College 3-0 at home to secure another conference victory Oct. 1.

SET ONE

Brookhaven started slow in the first set, quickly falling behind 3-0. Bears outside hitter Alexis Hattaway recorded Brookhaven’s first point, before Bears head coach Jason Hopkins called for early substitutions.

Bears outside hitter Josette Manzano came in and knocked down a kill to put the Bears within one point of the Lions. The following serve led to a series of volleys, resulting in a point for Mountain View.

But the Bears kept close behind the Lions and tied the set 17-17. After the teams exchanged a couple of kills, the teams were tied again at 19-19. Another point by Manzano put the Bears up 20-19.

Bears middle blocker Princess Hamilton put down a kill to secure the first set 25-21 for Brookhaven.

SET TWO

The Bears scored the first point of the second set, though the Lions continued to challenge them. Mountain View jumped to an early 5-2 lead. After the Lions pushed their lead to 16-11, Brookhaven called a timeout.

After the break, Brookhaven slowly chipped away Mountain View’s lead. The Lions were up three points, and Brookhaven called another timeout. The Bears regrouped and evened the set 20-20.

On the next serve, Manzano spiked an ace to give Brookhaven a 21-20 lead, shifting the momentum of the second set. The Bears followed up the ace with a kill to push their lead to 22-20.

The Bears continued to control the court. Mountain View called a timeout to settle down and lock in. The Lions scored back-to-back points to tie the set at 22-22. Both teams traded kills before the Lions took a 25-24 lead.

After a delay at the officials’ scoring table, the Bears bounced back to equalize the set 27-27. The Bears scored two consecutive points after the Lions committed a couple of unforced errors. Brookhaven won the second set 29-27

SET THREE

The Bears were slow to start the third set as the Lions put points on the board. Brookhaven was down 11-9 before Bears middle blocker Savannah Blagg recorded a kill. Hattaway followed with another point to tie the set 11-11. 

As Mountain View tried to maintain their composure, Brookhaven pushed ahead. The Bears extended their lead 21-15, and Mountain View called for a timeout.

Desperate to win a set, the Lions recorded back-to-back points, but still trailed Brookhaven 21-17.

The Bears scored two straight points to extend their lead to 23-17. Hamilton recorded another kill to tack on another point for Brookhaven. With one last roar, the Lions tallied one more point, but the Bears won the third set 25-18 after an unforced error by Mountain View.

Brookhaven is second in conference play. “We know that we have the potential to go undefeated the rest of the conference,” Hattaway said. “We just have to show up and show out every game.” The Bears look to retain their national ranking to snag a playoff spot and a shot at a conference championship.

Brookhaven has won four consecutive conference games, as of Oct. 12, and hopes to maintain momentum. Brookhaven will play Cedar Valley College at 7 p.m. Oct. 18 in the Brookhaven gym.