Dance opens pathways for entertainment

Pierce Pennington, Contributing Writer

With the latest content and material constantly thrown into the faces of millions every day, people as a society have become more involved in the performing arts community.

Whether it’s creating a new TikTok dance trend, starting a small business or producing written music from a bedroom, the world is full of creativity. Developing interest in movement and innovative ideas and concepts has allowed more room for companies to form, dancers to perform and choreographers to explore.

Professional dancer Lauren Serrano, who is part of Noble Motion, a professional dance company based out of Houston, said, “Dance is less about perfection, and more about how you can bring who you are to the table.”

Throughout history, art has allowed people to better understand culture, religion and government, among other things. The arts are helping to shape the modern culture of the 21st century. 

Noble Motion is directed by Andrew and Dionne Noble, who each earned their Bachelor of Fine Arts in dance from Florida State University. With their years of professional dance experience, they found a love for choreography, which is how they fell in love with each other. The Nobles are professors at Sam Houston State University and run Noble Motion, producing new and exciting works to present all over the country.

Andrew said: “There are a ton of great dancers that can do whatever you tell them. I’m interested in their stories; individuals that have the ability to move their body in a way that tells a story, in a way that handles problems. I am interested in the creativity an artist brings.”

He said he likes to create work that the average human can relate to.“We want dancers who are creative and want to engage in a collaborative process and love creating something out of nothing,” Andrew said.

The Nobles said in concert dance works and professional dance companies, dancers are typically expected to complete a choreographer’s vision and do what they are told. When working with either of the Nobles, they take the opposite approach, constantly finding ways to incorporate the individual minds of their artists.

“If I have dancers in the room that are engaged in the same way that we are, we feel the work we make is much better than if I pull the dancers along,” Andrew said. “I’m not interested in telling my story alone, I’m interested in creating a story or a narrative of a world where different voices come into it and I think that makes the work really interesting and rich,” he said.

Serrano said: “The rehearsals we have are actually very mentally exhausting, because you’re working, you’re creating, you’re thinking the whole time. [Andrew and Dionne] were way more collaborative than how I was used to working.”