Binge Watch This: Halloween

Three classic (and remade) films to watch this season
Psycho illustration
Illustrations by Tania Kaufmann

“Psycho” (1960 & 1998)

Alfred Hitchcock’s “Psycho” remains a beautiful Halloween classic in my eyes. Released in 1960, the film is an adaptation of Robert Bloch’s novel of the same name. The film features evocative music by Bernard Herrmann, brilliant script writing by Joseph William Stefano, and impressive acting by cast members.

All these factors and more have rightfully cemented “Psycho” as a classic film. From the beginning of the film, viewers are immersed in a world not very different from reality. A world full of lies, stealing and facades. It makes Hitchcock’s characters feel so “human,” it’s almost hard not to feel an ounce of empathy for them amid all their negative character traits.

Anthony Perkins, who plays the infamous Norman Bates, gives my favorite performance. Many people praise the iconic shower scene, and understandably so. Still, I genuinely believe the parlor conversation scene between Norman and Marion Crane, played by Janet Leigh, is severely underrated.

As Marion indulges in a dinner made by Norman, the two spill their guts to each other, giving viewers a look at the characters’ inner workings. The alluring writing, paired with the standout acting provided by both actors, is phenomenal and unnerving.

I highly recommend everyone to watch or rewatch Psycho this fall season. The editing is a bit outdated and silly, but the film still features terrific shots, great character arcs, and a killer plot twist. -AP

Psycho illustration

“Halloween” (1978 & 2007)

John Carpenter’s “Halloween” is arguably the single most iconic slasher movie ever put on the silver screen.

A movie made on a fraction of a budget compared to its contemporaries, “Halloween” is the origin of the most iconic horror character created in the 20th century: Michael Meyers, played by Nick Castle.

Myers’ imposing frame, inhuman mannerisms and iconic mask have led to direct inspirations across pop culture, from the more obvious pulls such as Jason Vorhees of “Friday the 13th” fame, to lesser-known inspirations such as The Undertaker, arguably the most popular and known persona of professional wrestling.

The rest of the cast includes the immaculate Jamie Lee Curtis, in her breakout role as well as the late great, Donald Pleasence, playing the no-nonsense Dr. Loomis.

The score, composed by Carpenter himself, is as iconic as the mask its villain wears, and fully engrosses viewers in a beautifully terrifying way from start to finish.

This movie holds up when compared to what its contemporaries or even the best modern horror has to offer in both scares and story.

If you have never seen it, even if you don’t consider yourself a fan of horror, treat yourself to one of the greats and give “Halloween” a piece of your free time this season. -GS

The Town That Dreaded Sundown Illustration

“The Town That Dreaded Sundown” (1976 & 2014)

“The Town That Dreaded Sundown” is based on true events that happened during the early spring and summer of 1946 in a small Eastern Texas town called Texarkana.

A mysterious man terrorized and put fear in the community of Texarkana. He murdered several people and badly injured others. Young couples who would go parking on Lover’s Lane were his targets.

To this day, this killer has never been caught. He was labeled the Phantom Killer by police officers who investigated the case, due to the white hood he would wear.

During the time of the murders, no one in Texarkana wanted to go out after sundown, hence the name of the film.

Directed and produced by Charles B. Pierce in 1976, the film was released 30 years after the real life incidents occurred.

It will keep you on the edge of your seat: with exciting scenes, nostalgic clothing and souped-up cars that make you feel like you are right there in the ’40s. -JR