The keys to giving meaningful gifts

Many have heard the saying, “It’s the thought that counts,” and this is true. It is often the thought behind the gift that provides its true meaning.

For some, this can be a daunting and overwhelming task, especially for students. Luckily, I have a few tips for how to give meaningful gifts to make this holiday season unforgettable for you and your loved ones.

Paper hearts cut from scissors.
Ivy Nguyen

Get creative

What are your talents and how can you incorporate them into a gift? For example, if you are a painter, you could paint a picture for a loved one as a present,using their favorite colors, or paint a particular object they enjoy.

Does this person love cats and have the favorite color pink? Paint them a pink cat. The art of meaningful gifts is to show you have taken time to think about who the gift-receiver is as a person. This tip will require you to think outside the box about what it is you are good at or what you enjoy doing, and how you can make the gift-receiver smile.

Painting of pink cat.

Draw inspiration from their passions

Similar to the first tip, this tip requires you to think about the gift-receiver and consider their hobbies or passions. Do they collect a certain item for fun? Maybe buy something that can add to their collection. Do they have a favorite singer? Perhaps you can visit the local music store and get them something related to said artist. Showing someone you care about their passions or hobbies is one of the most beautiful and thoughtful ways to give appreciation.

Bear thought bubble.

Buy what they need

This one is pretty simple; buy what the recipient needs or something that will make their day-to-day life a little easier. This can be something as simple as buying a bike mount for their car or an item they have frequently mentioned wanting. This ties to the second tip as well. You could buy something that helps them better participate in their favorite hobby. These types of gifts can make for the best surprises and can be especially heart-warming once the gift-receiver realizes you have paid attention to their needs.

Bear giving gift.
Ivy Nguyen

Gift cards

If all else fails, there are always gift cards. While this does not seem too thoughtful at first glance, the way you go about this will determine its impact. Visa gift cards are a great option, with balances starting as low as $10 and going all the way to $500. Instead of just gifting them a gift card, perhaps include the present in a handmade holiday card and write out a special message to them. Visa isn’t the only option. If the recipient is a book-lover for instance, consider buying a gift card to their favorite bookstore. If they frequently dine out, you could buy a gift card to their favorite restaurant. There are many ways to go about this one while also being considerate.

The key to meaningful gifts is showing you have taken time to think about the recipient. Gifts don’t always have to be extravagant. Now that you have these tips in mind, it’s time to start giving.