Students vie for spots in talent show

By Nancy Asmus

Daniel Marold, Student Government Association president, and Molly Vaughan, SGA public information officer, sit in S220. Blue posters with the word “show-off” line the windows and stairwell of the Student Center. Arrows point students to the Brookhaven College Talent Show auditions.

Vaughan said the second annual Brookhaven Talent Show will bring students together and will help create a stronger sense of community.

The SGA and art students plan to feature 15-20 student and employee acts. Vaughan said she hopes new groups and acts come together to show their talents. A panel of judges will select winners.

“We would like every passion represented – music, science, vocal, acting,” Vaughan said.

Last year’s top prize was a basket of Scantrons, writing utensils and snacks. The three winning performers were a vocalist, a yo-yo performer and a 14-member urban dance crew.

“It’s talent and talent is self-defined, so bring it,” Marold said. “It will be a show.”

Student Adrian Lopez walked into the audition room and played a piece with a classical guitar his uncle found in the trash. Lopez chatted with Marold about guitar tuning tips, and Marold advised him which style of music to play after his audition.

Marold, at ease with the guitar in his hands, played a few chords and encouraged Lopez to play a classical piece more suited to his guitar.

The talent show starts at 6 p.m. April 19 in Room H125. Admission is $5 and includes food and beverage. Vaughan said those interested in auditioning can stop by the Office of Student Life through April 18.