Professor jazzes it up

By Amy Price
A&E Editor

Mix one part funk, one part soul, one part talent and two parts jazz and you will get Freddie Jones’ music. It is not musical chemistry that makes Jones’ new album so delightful to listen to. It is the soothing highs and lows of the music Jones emits from his trumpet.

Jones, adjunct music professor at Brookhaven College, released his new album, “Your Last Movie” March 17. This is his fourth album since his debut in 1997.
“Your Last Movie” is available to purchase on iTunes and www.amazon.com.

With the help of www.kick starter.com, Jones was able to raise $10,200, exceeding his goal by $200, to fund the album’s production.

The album was recorded locally at Verge Music Works in Farmers Branch and Jessma Studio in Carrollton. It was mixed at Crystal Clear Sound Recording Studios in Dallas.

Track one, “No Business” is sultry and sexy. Close your eyes and you might think you are in the romantic love scene of a film. “I don’t know why I want to do these things to you, girl,” Jones sings.

Many of his tracks have no lyrics, which leads me to my favorite: “Beth & Kathy Do Lunch.” The funkadelic guitar solo complements Jones’ horn. The song stood out because of the unique sound. Jones is able to create words with his instruments, and this track is a prime example.

The following track, “Two Annas,” gives off a somber melody of overcoming a challenge. Jones’ trumpet tells a story with a rhythmic low, a harmonious peak and a slow mellowing end.

Jones plays keyboard and trumpet, sings, and leads a group of 12 others who bring “Your Last Movie” to life.