‘Almost, Maine’ amuses crowd

Theater Review

By Bradley Varnell

The two-week run of Theatre Brookhaven’s “Almost, Maine” closed May 5, following eight performances. The cast of 12 captured the ups and downs and the laughs and tears that come along with relationships.

Set in the snow-covered, fictional town of Almost in northern Maine, the two- hour-long comedy followed nine couples through eight vignettes, a prologue and an epilogue, as they found, experienced and lost love.

Almost got its name for being a city that “never got around to getting organized,” according to East, one of the show’s characters. At times bordering on the absurd, the citizens of Almost showed the crazy things men and women all over the world go through for love. Behind the laughs was a message the cast hoped audiences would take with them. Jason Martin, who portrayed East and Randy, said he hoped audience members left the show realizing what could happen when you neglect the people you care about.

Yanira Canales, a recent Brookhaven graduate, played Marvalyn and said she felt the stories were relatable and hoped that audience members would see the stories on stage and relate to them.

Audience member Renee Derr said, “It was cute, and it was funny and it was very entertaining.” The rest of the audience seemed to agree. All were lively during the May 2 performance, in which two vignettes proved especially popular:

The first involved two characters literally “falling” for — and over — each other, while the second brought to light the inconvenience the multiple layers required by chilly Maine weather can cause when two lovers in the throes of passion are trying to take things up a notch. It is very hard to look sexy when taking off ski pants.

Although the moments of brevity and laughter were plenty, the show was not without its somber moments.

One particularly poignant scene showed Phil and Marci in a spot where many other couples find themselves: asking where the love went.

Theatre Brookhaven’s last show of the season will be the musical “Little Women.” Auditions are by appointment only May 13-16 and 20-23. Performances will be at 8 p.m. June 27-29 and July 5-6 and at 2:30 p.m. June 30 and July 7.

For more information on auditions or tickets, individuals may contact [email protected].