35 Denton reviews

The Hope Trust

The members of The Hope Trust took the stage knowing they were about to announce some sad news to their fans. Still, this did not stop the group from filling Dan’s Silverleaf with a pleasant sound that was along the lines of alternative pop rock with a hint of electronica.

The chemistry the four-man band displayed allowed the sound from their instruments to coalesce into soft melodies. Vocalist and guitarist Kelly Upton’s soothing voice added the finishing touch to the songs’ natural, smooth flow.

The group performed a song titled “Light Can’t Escape,” which truly captured the band’s style. The song had a steady, underlying drumbeat, strong chorus and catchy bridge.

Mid-set, Upton announced this was bassist Andy Odom’s final show as a member of The Hope Trust. “I’ve known this guy for most of my life,” Upton said. “Help me wish him the best as he continues his work around Denton.”

Odom wiped away a tear and said, “Just play the song.”

The Hope Trust performed “Lost in Transmission,” a song with somber instrumentals and vocals limited to the first minute of the song, to close out a show that was more about goodbye than 35 Denton.

– Obed Manuel

Designer Drugs

Michael Vincent Patrick of Designer Drugs took to the turntables at Hailey’s Club alone during the opening night of 35 Denton. Theodore Paul Nelson, the other half of the band, is currently in medical school and was not available to perform.

Patrick delivered what the crowd wanted during his solo show. A mix of poppy beats and energetic electronica sent a vibe throughout the dancing crowd. A powerful energy was felt during the hour-long set.

The 35 Denton set was a sort of homecoming for Patrick, who just returned from touring in several cities throughout Europe – including Paris, Madrid and Berlin.

“The crowd here in Denton was amazing,” Patrick said. “The music I love – the music I wanted to play – is the music these people wanted to hear.”

– Obed Manuel

Thee Oh Sees

Thee Oh Sees took Main Stage 2 by storm. The group’s punk rock was fast, gritty and, most of all, loud. It would have been difficult for them not to be loud with two drummers.

Singer and guitarist John Dwyer’s vocal style was goofy and jumpy. The combination of the music and his voice created a sense of listening to garage rock.

The group’s raw sound had almost every member of the audience bobbing their heads throughout the set. Nearly 20 attendees at the front of the audience began pushing and shoving, adding to the show’s chaotic vibe.

There was not a calm moment during the group’s showing. Dwyer’s onstage antics – holding up his guitar and jumping – only fueled the sense of disorder and release of whatever teenage angst was left in the audience.

– Obed Manuel

Best Coast

The low-fi, surf-pop vibe of Best Coast makes listeners feel like they are in a constant mellow summer mood. The band consists of frontwoman Bethany Cosentino on vocals and guitar, and Bobb Bruno, who plays guitar and records drums for their albums.

The lyrics are repetitive between songs. Some of the audience joked that the band played a couple of new songs from their unreleased album, but people were able to sing along because they all sound the same. Best Coast encourages people to fall in love with the sound, craving for more.

Cosentino managed to wear a dress in about 40-degree temperatures and rain. She asked Bruno for a sip from the jug of liquor he brought on stage to “warm up.”

The performance – including Bruno’s dance moves while playing the guitar and sipping from the booze – was fairly entertaining. Cosentino also engaged well with the audience.

Best Coast definitely sounds better recorded. Cosentino’s voice got lost in the sound of the music and some of the riffs were not as clear as the recordings. Best Coast left me a little disappointed but happy and wanting to go to another one of their shows.

– Maria Teresa Arias